A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using AS3 instead of timelime line - can someone point me in the right direction?

Using AS3 instead of timelime line - can someone point me in the right direction?

I want to do something very simalar to this site: http://www.bam.org/ but i was wondering if its best to use actionscript instead of using motion tweens on the timeline? I was thinking it would keep the .swf file size down. Can anyone point me in the right direction or tutorial?

Thanks,
    smgtech.

Will moderate for beer
    Do a search for "tween engines". There are several 3rd party tweening engines which make animating tweens through code much easier (and more efficient) than Adobe's built in Tween class.

I think two of the most popular are Tweener and TweenLite.

thanks for the help but do you know of anything thats just CS4 and AS3 code only? I could easily tween this stuff with small amounts of AS and make it do what I want but I am trying to learn how to make AS do what I want without tweening so a more efficient way with hopefully a small or ok file size. I mean I have seen what AS can do over at gotoandlearn.com for the carousel tutorial of the f that moves by your mouse and I believe they did it all with AS or the Flex environment.
    Last edited by smgtech; 06-03-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Will moderate for beer
    Those ARE code only. And using them, you will probably achieve a smaller file size.

http://pat.theorigin.net cresquin's Avatar
    I think smgtech is looking for some tutorials on how to execute that type of effect. A noble end. I suggest grabbing those class packages and diving into them. The code is well written, easy to read and well commented.

5tonsofflax and cresquin, thanks. I just wasn't looking deep enough and thought that the tweener or tweenlight was just a kid version of moving things around from the demo on tweenlight. Cresquin hit it on the nail I just need to dive in and learn it because the code can do what I want without the timeline which is what I am looking for. thanks again.

AS2 intolerant person
    also tweenlite has a delay property, so you can string tweens together more dynamically. just remember to use the property; overwrite:0 to avoid overwriting tweens on the same object.

flos

ps i suggest you get tweenmax because it includes a number of effects like blurring, which is nice when tweening something thats meant to look like its moving fast.

Im trying to learn how to use Tweenmax it seems more efficient but I just learning AS3 so I need a little help. My code:

import gs.TweenMax;

fader.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER, RollOver);
    function RollOver(event:MouseEvent):void {
    TweenMax.to(fade, 1, {alpha:0});
    }

fader.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT, RollOut);
    function RollOut(event:MouseEvent):void {
    TweenMax.to(fade, 1, {alpha:1});
    }

I'm trying to get the fade symbol to go to alpha 0 when I mouse over just like the BAM.org site has on the side of its flash. I publish it and this code doesn't work? What am I doing wrong?

Sorry guys/gals I persevered and this worked just like I wanted it too but now I am getting error code 1121 when I try to get the left fade to work...:

import gs.TweenMax;

fadeleft.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER, RollOver);
    TweenMax.to(fadeleft, 1, {alpha:0});
    }

fadeleft.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT, RollOut);
    TweenMax.to(fadeleft, 1, {alpha:1});
    }
    faderight.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER, RollOver);
    TweenMax.to(faderight, 1, {alpha:0, overwrite:0});
    }

faderight.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT, RollOut);
    TweenMax.to(faderight, 1, {alpha:1, overwrite:0});
    }

Does anyone see my mistake?

Thanks.

How would TweenMax ease many objects at one time?

I want to move 5 pictures left across the stage slowly and the same 5 pictures to repeat continuously. When I rollover the center picture I want the scroling/moving left to stop so that I can click on the picture and it take me to the webpage on the site about that picture.

I was thinking create a movie clip of the 5 photos within the stage and within the movie clip convert each photo to a button. Add the Tweenmax easing action script to the movie clip and the stop action script when moused over. And since the photo was converted to a button it would go to the URL associated with that button if I click on it. But I wanted to know if Tweenmax could do this in a simpler way if so can some one point me to that page or give me some tips.

Thanks.