A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: overlapping swf files

overlapping swf files

I have a strange problem I do not understand.
    I am working in Flash CS3.

When I do:
    Control>Test Movie

I see my swf playing like it should, but when I go to open it later where it is stored...something odd happens:
    Another swf file opens on top of it. If I try to close that other file, it closes both, so they seem to be connected.
    In fact, when I try to open ANY swf on my computer, this same swf file opens on top of the swf file that should be there.
    Does anyone have any idea why, or what I should do about it?
    Here is another thing that may help--all of the files I am opening were created with action script 3.0 and the file that keeps popping up was created in action script 2.0.

Thanks for any help...

Flash Designer
    What's in that other swf file?

The other swf file

The swf file that keeps popping up is an animation I created some time ago.

It was created in CS3, but using 2.0 action script.
    Later I started using CS3 with 3.0 action script.

As I have thought about it, I can remember when this problem started.
    I was working with a 3.0 file, and I tried to take some elements out of that older 2.0 file and use them in the 3.0 file. I had forgotten they were different
    action script settings. Apparently this is a bad thing to do.
    I realized it some time after I created a swf from the combo of the files.

By then it was too late. Now I have this problem where every time a create a new swf from any file, or open an old file from any project...this dreaded 2.0 file appears on top of it.

I hope this information is helpful.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Flash Designer
    Wow, that is a weird problem, and I've never heard of that before so unfortuantely can't help you much, did you try and google for that issue and see if anyone else has this issue too?

Figured out the Solution to the overlapping .swf files!

When I right clicked on the swf file, I was given all the options for applications that would open the file. That is when I discovered that somehow my default application to open the swf files was changed to a projector I had made in Flash. (A projector is an application you create to allow the swf to play on anyone elses computer even if they do not have Flash.) The projector was originally made for that 2.0 file, that is why it kept opening the 2.0 file on top of every new swf I made.

All I had to do to solve the problem, was to find the projector on my computer and delete it. Then everything reverted back to the correct default application and all the overlapping stopped. (If I did not want to delete the projector, I found that I could still eliminate the overlap by right clicking on the swf and choosing the correct application to open it. Since I did not need the projector anymore--I decided to delete it.)

So that is the end of the mystery!
    Hope the information is helpful to someone else in the future.