A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: animation syncing with sound

animation syncing with sound

Hi Guys,

Have a cartoon animation along the timeline with sound and also a simple play fw and rw setup.
    When the movie plays from the start the sound syncs perfectly with the animation all the way to the end.
    But the sound goes out of sync with the animation when the fw or rw buttons are pressed. For this the I've use and simple gotoAndplay with the buttons along the timeline in particular spots.
    If the sound syncs with the animation when it's played from the start of the movie then why will it go out of sync if it played half way through the animation.
    Note: The sound and animation both run on the timeline not emedded into movieclips.

Thanks, Wayne

Unhappy

This is the script style I'm using on the forward button at given points in the animation.
    code:
     on (release)
    {
    stopAllSounds();
    nav_paused = 0;
    gotoAndPlay(187);
    }

What seems to happen is that the sound will jump ahead around 10-15 frames in front of animation when the forward button is pressed.
    The sound sync in the properties menu is set to 'stream' to ensure the frame rate is meant to sync with the sound. Which happen perfectly all the way too the end of the movie if the forward button isn't pressed.

The more I think about this, is that the animation isn't starting to play at the same time as the sound when forward button is pressed. It seems to be lagging at the start.......... it driving me nuts!

Worked it out finally...
    Had my sound set to 'speech' in the publish settings - trying to get the a better voice over quality. Which turns out it kept throwing the voice out of sync with the animation.
    When I changed it back to 'mp3', it syncs perfectly with the step fwd and back buttons.

The moral and to avoid frustration: Don't publish your sound to 'speech' if you want to sync your sound.