Thread: congratulations USA - FIFA Confederation Cup

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

congratulations USA - FIFA Confederation Cup

The USA lost 2 - 3 to Brazil in the final.

...but up until the second half, USA lead 2 - 0 ....amazing job. The best football nation in the world had to fight hard to come back and it would have been an incredible upset if the USA had won.

Nobody expected them to beat Spain, and then no-one even expected them to score at all in the final. Brazil is one of the most successful defensive teams in the world.

nice work, and a great match to watch.

davidp
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

I was surprised too. Seems like the sport is truly starting to hit its stride in the US finally.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Brazil did it the hard way eh? I was more than shocked to find the US team leading at half time. I thought that with the BPL-bred defenders that they have, they'll be able to contain the Samba men.

Thought they'd be well off winning their first major trophy, I can't deny that the Brazillians deserve the victory as well.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I had to wake at 4am to watch this live, and it was worth it (except for those damned horns the S. Africans constantly blow throughout the match).

david

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    The vuvuzela is part of South African football culture, like the club songs in European football. FIFA was fully aware of this, and to try and ban it now is ridiculous.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    The vuvuzela is part of South African football culture, like the club songs in European football. FIFA was fully aware of this, and to try and ban it now is ridiculous.
    thanks for the enlightenment Vuvuzela ....nice name. Is someone trying to ban it??

I find it annoying because it just gets to be a really big loud background drone that stops you from hearing any commentary very well.

david

I seriously learned something new tonight. Vuvuzela. I thought it was just an ordinary plastic horn - we have them for new years and even some games here in the states... but no name were given to them.

Awesome!

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Yeah, FIFA is trying to ban it cause of the noise. Some are also branded, so it's also a marketing issue. I think Pepsi is just miffed that they're sponsoring the World Cup, and one of the biggest stadiums is now called Coca-Cola park

They say it can also be used as a weapon. What do they think; that Shaka conquered Southern Africa with battalions of warriors armed with vuvuzelas?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Gerbick, 1 of 22 U.S. citizens that follows the world soccer thingy
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

lmao

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Wait... we have a soccer team...?

footy ball, please.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVPohovich View Post
    Wait... we have a soccer team...?
    LOL, USA is ranked 14th in the FIFA rankings and just a couple of days ago beat the number one ranked nation, Spain.

...and for TGLC - from WIKI - The English and Spanish-language telecasts of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Championship Final combined to attract an estimated 16.9 million American viewers, comparable to the average viewership of the 2005 World Series of Major League Baseball

david

ah but how many of those American viewers were u.s. citizens?

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar View Post
    ah but how many of those American viewers were u.s. citizens?
    How relevant is that in terms of how popular a sport is in the USA? Is citizenship somehow relevant in deciding viewing statisitics and a sports popularity?

david

you do realize the original was joke on the popularity of soccer in the united states.

Sure it is popular with school children, but i'm pretty sure anybody on this board from the u.s. would have to talk to alot of people before somebody could tell them FIFA was or how we did in any soccer tournament.

I assure you as someone living in the united states that the tournament got zero press coverage on any english speaking channels. I am also sure that it did get a good amount of coverage on spanish speaking channels.

You see here in 'merica we don't have one of them fancy moats around our country. So we get a lot of guests from south of the boarder where soccer is very popular. These folks sometimes go ahead and take up residence here without quite ever getting the legal paperwork in order. That der was the jape of the second post in this thread. Now as all humor has been thoroughly squashed i shall take my exit.
    Last edited by TallGuyLittleCar; 06-29-2009 at 05:59 PM.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I obviously have no sense of humour.

It is too bad that there is little recognition of the sport there. It is a truly international playing field (over 200 countries in the FIFA rankings) and the USA is going gang-busters right now.

A 14th position on that ranking table is admirable, puts them way in front of many countries where soccer is almost a religion (Mexico is ranked 26th), and beating the number 1 ranked country in the world 2 - 0 is no mean feat, the players and coaches deserve praise and recognition.

david

The beautiful thing about soccer, there's no invincible team. Majestic!

I've always wondered how people that normally default to "football" feel when they have to use "soccer" because an American is involved in the discussion.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    We call it soccer in Australia too, unless we have European background. We have other football codes (the sort that hardly use their feet at all).

I still find it amazing that anyone can think it is not popular in the US...I was reading that 18 million Americans play soccer, with 78% under 18 ...leaving nearly 4 million adult players. How many other sports there would have such player participation?

There are more women playing soccer than are involved in track and field and it is the fastest growing college and high school sport.

Football (soccer) is the only major sport that has seen US participation grow since 1987 :ref:

...so 22 hardly seems a realistic number of followers

And it sure is a lot more interesting to watch than baseball (after all, pretty much anything would be wouldn't it?).

david