A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hiding images outside the canvas

Hiding images outside the canvas

Hi

whenever I publish a FLA file I have, and load it onto a website, I see elements which aren't suppose to be within the frame sitting outside the frame.

These elements are outside the canvas in flash and come in for brieft flashy moments but then fly back out again

How do I hide all files outside the canvas? I tried masking the top layer and adding everything underneath it and locking it but that never worked.

Any ideas? Thanks

firstly, locking layers in flash is so you can't accidently change their properties, like position or opacity. It doesn't affect an exported flash movie.

Re: Elements on the 'pasteboard' (the area surrounding the 'stage' - what i believe you're calling the canvas):

What you should be doing is leaving things in place and hiding/showing them using opacity + visibility (for clickable elements like buttons)
    OR attaching and removing the movieClips.

Also check your scaling properties in flash, sounds like your movie is being tested at one size/scale and then being exported and displayed on a website with different size/scale - that's why when testing your movie looks fine, but then on the site you see things you didnt before.

Let me know if this helps.

Chris

Hi

Thanks for the explanation. The flash file in question is one I bought off flashden and modified..

here is the link

j sty la .com/preview.swf

The size it opens up in is fine.. but when I put it on a page, you'll see the rest of the swirl as opposed to a constrained fixed size.. so the flash file looks very large and scattered. Resize the flash window and enlarge it, you will see what I mean.. you see the rest of the swirls.

Using opacity in this case won't work because the swirls enlarge and parts of it hang outside the stage and the rest sits inside the stage so visibility needs to be at 100%..but just inivisible when it is outside the stage.

I'm guessing your flash embed code isn't keeping the original size.

You should use swfObject not whatever you're using at the moment.
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=682691
    Using that you can specify scale, size, window mode and all that jazz.

I'd stick an example together for you but i dont have flash installed on the computer i'm using at the moment. will do in about an hour if you can wait