A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Thinking about buying a laptop so I can design in a different environment

Thinking about buying a laptop so I can design in a different environment

Hey guys,

Weird question, I know. But I'm just looking for opinions and experiences.

I'm really contemplating buying a laptop simply so that I can design in different environments. I think it might be interesting if I could draw from the atmosphere or from the life all around me. Some days I just feel so cooped up in my room, and I wonder if inspiration awaits me outside of my house...

Does any one do this? Any thoughts?

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    I unplugged for nearly 2 weeks... Did wonders for my creativity and my code. Do what you need to keep the creative light burning.

quite differently, i cant stand working anywhere other than a desktop work station. I find there are too much distractions to focus on getting the actual execution job done.

I usually get inspirations going outside or just hanging around the house. youll be surprised by how many creative stuffs come to your head when ur not really thinking about it. After that i try to remember and get back to work station and work from there.

Agrees with Jujumon

I used to take my work with me to various coffee shops the library et all. I'd constantly get interrupped or distracted. My laptop is my non work computer.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    I have no real choice, I'm always drifting between working at home, teaching, and working at the studio so the Laptop is my primary work station.

That said I only just tweeted earlier before I even saw this post that I have noticed over the last 3 years I been using a laptop as my main computer that my productivity is a lot lower that when I had a desktop work station. I think thats mainly due to missing multi-monitors and my graphics tablet though.

Creativily I agree with the above, I get my inspiration away from the computer (or when its tucked away in its bag) mostly chatting with other creatives bouncing ideas. I suppose I have he additional bonus that I am always surrounded by fresh new talent at the college where I teach so I'm always getting inspired by what I see or hear on a daily basis.

Lucky me

:-)
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

When I got a laptop i found the change of enviroment cool and all that stuff but the enthusiasm ran out after some time cause really a laptop cannot compare to a powerful desktop machine. And I think you'll also find (most people does at least) that your room is probably your workplace of choice after all.

You just need a more powerful laptop. Check out alienware. Outrageously priced and smoking fast with huge screens.

As far as power goes I'm very happy with my new laptop.