A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New AS file won't recognize my instance names

Question New AS file won't recognize my instance names

I get the error "Access of undefined property menu_bar" when menu_bar is an instance name directly on the main timeline. I'm not sure how I would call it in the other class. It also isn't exported for actionscript is that the problem?

I have it imported to my document class as:

var mouseClicks:MouseClicks = new MouseClicks();
    addChild(mouseClicks);

Then the class looks like this:

Code:
    package{
    	import flash.display.MovieClip;
    	import flash.events.*;

public class MouseClicks extends MovieClip{

public function MouseClicks(){

menu_bar.about_us.aboutUs_button.about_hitbox.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, _handleAboutClick);
    /*			menu_bar.about_us.RTB.readyToBuy.rtb_hitbox.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, _handleRtbClick);
    			menu_bar.about_us.RTB.portfolio.portfolio_button.p_hitbox.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, _handlePortfolioClick);
    			menu_bar.about_us.RTB.portfolio.services.s_button.s_hitbox.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, _handleServicesClick);
    			menu_bar.about_us.RTB.portfolio.services.design_options.designOptions_button.do_hitbox.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, _handleDOClick);*/

}

public function _handleAboutClick(MouseEvent:Event):void{
    				trace("clicked");
    		}

}

}

You are not identifying exact where the menu_bar is located. You code indicates that it is local to the package, when in fact it isn't and is only available on the main timeline. You need to provide the path outside of the package.
    Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by samac1068 View Post
    You are not identifying exact where the menu_bar is located. You code indicates that it is local to the package, when in fact it isn't and is only available on the main timeline. You need to provide the path outside of the package.
    How would I go about doing that?