A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cell phone contacts

Cell phone contacts

I've probably seen this easily 3 times in the past week on my facebook stream "Lost my phone need all your #'s" or "Phone died and lost all my contacts"

Now I know all the power users in the cell phone world sync their stuff with their computers or some other means that they have a second copy(or more) of all their info. I just think that contact saving is lost on the consumer level. I may be wrong but I feel like companies make it a hassle to even back them up on a lot of phones. There must be some way for someone to make a website kind of like foxymarks where daily or when you turn your phone on it auto-syncs. Obviously it is only a dream as never will all phones from all companies be able to be supported. I just feel like something easier should be done for the common people.

</rant>
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I think the real issue is that the majority of those people that are losing cell phones, are the people that just are not for lack of a better term, mature enough to have a cell phone. Id say most of them have lost thier phones more then once. I dont know about you but personally i have never lost a phone. I had my last one (first gen Chocolate) for 4 years, and the only reason i got a new phone was because the battery was toast.

Backing up contacts is a fairly easy process. Not losing your phone is even Easier.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Yeah I had my first phone until it practically died and my contract was up and then I got the phone I have now.

But the thing about people who lose their phones though are usually people who can afford to just keep buying newer ones...who also like spending money on programs that backup their contacts
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Blackberry builds the sync software into the packaged bundle. Having a smart phone with no sync capability is just plain irresponsible. I plug the BB into a USB port for charging/syncing -- no issues. As far as losing the phone, I believe iPhone now has a 'lost phone' app which will disable the phone and only allow it to call a pre-determined number (your home number?) when it is turned on.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    T-mobile has a contact backup service that works with most of their phones. That's what I used to transfer contacts between my first 2 phones. Getting the contacts from that service onto my G1 wasn't an easy task though. The biggest problem is making something that would work universally between all service providers and phone operating systems.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

actually the biggest problem is making one that supports all phones.

A smart phone is going to work much differently then a run of the mill economy style phone.

The iphone/blackberry/pre will all have apps that can do this, however those apps wont work on say a $50 entry level phone that can make calls and thats it.

users need to be more responsible, And I'd say the demand for this service(paid) is minimal at best, when you can do it all for free if you follow one of the top 3 life rules: RTFM

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z View Post
    Now I know all the power users in the cell phone world sync their stuff with their computers or some other means that they have a second copy(or more) of all their info.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    I think the real issue is that the majority of those people are not... mature enough to have a cell phone
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! I just had to give my number (to another Super ) again... Can't. Stop. Laughing...!

haha.

There is probably a link between people who loose their phones often and aren't organised enough to backup their phone book.

I bet they also slouch about watching America's Next Top Model in their pyjamas while idly surfring Facebook on their laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by asheep_uk View Post
    There is probably a link between people who loose their phones often and those who frequently pass out in a puddle of their own urine.
    *fixed*
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by EVPohovich View Post
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! I just had to give my number (to another Super ) again... Can't. Stop. Laughing...!
    bah. I had yet to sync my replacement iPhone with the new Mac.

apparently my last backup of the prior iPhone on the old machine was considered "corrupt" so I had to set up the phone as a new iPhone, not the backed up one.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by asheep_uk View Post
    There is probably a link between people who loose their phones often and aren't organised enough to backup their phone book.

I bet they also slouch about watching America's Next Top Model in their pyjamas while idly surfring Facebook on their laptop.
    Just think they could be surfing facebook on there cell phone if they hadnt lost it.

Blackberry Curve:

Download "Google Sync" application to phone.
    Plug in your gmail or google apps account info.
    Edit your contacts in gmail or on phone. They talk.
    Never have to think about it again.

Works for me.
    Last edited by FlashLackey; 07-16-2009 at 02:23 AM.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Only cell-phone I ever lost was off a rollercoaster, loose pockets.

Then I blacked out for the first time and cracked my iphone falling down concrete steps, but it still works, so I live with the consequences.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.