A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Should I switch to Macs?

Should I switch to Macs?

I'm not sure where to post this, and I CERTAINLY don't want to start any PC vs Mac wars. I'm just looking for some honest insight.

I'm currently looking for a new computer. Was originally going to just get a PC, but am now wondering if I should try to get used to a Mac?

I've been a PC guy all my life, but when going through details for internships and job opportunities, I see that a lot of the employers prefer those that can use Macs. Why is this?

Again, not trying to start any wars, and I hope I posted this in the right section. Would love some feedback.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Let me preface this with: I currently am an all Mac guy and run an all Mac studio.

It honestly comes down to preference and compatibility between others. If you're dealing with lots of people who are using Macs, it's easier sometimes to share resources between each other. One example that comes to mind is fonts. Lots of fonts are either PC or Mac versions. Even versions that are cross platform, sometimes render slightly different in each OS. So that's an issue when you receive a PSD from a designer, for example, and you need to work on it.

Really, everything else is minor. When it comes down to it, a Mac fits into my work flow a lot nicer. I demand the command line and the Unix backend to actually work, and not just to say I have it. It's an area that Windows is extremely lacking. I LOVE Spotlight, Expose, and Spaces. Also, I'll admit, I'm a sucker for the pretty things. I fully admit to spending a bit more money to have something beautiful sitting on or under my desk. (iMacs and Mac Pros)

But when it comes down to it, that's my personal preference. It'd be nice if you wanted to stick to PCs, that you were at least comfortable with a Mac and know your way around just in-case you were offered a job in an all Mac environment or something.

I've also been a pc guy my hold life, one that would publicly denounce apple and anyone who used one. But times have changed. Now that they've gone intel, there's not much else different about the two. I own a macbook pro and I do all my design on it, and I also own a couple pcs. Like taco said...mostly just preference. I think macs are a lot more user friendly and have some nice tools to make things a little easier for the user.

I've noticed macs are used a lot for designing purpose. I was wondering what advantage does it have in that area over windows? The only thing i could think of was the extra screen space.

developers = pc, designers = mac .. generally speaking
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer