A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Change the artboard colour

newayblue.com

Change the artboard colour

I'm sure this question has been tackled previously, but is it possible to change the colour of the artboard in CS3 from white, or even get a line around the document?

Thanks guys!

Multitouch Aficionado
    Well, you can change the background color in the Properties pane (bottom of the screen). This will apply to the whole SWF, not just the artboard. If you want just the artboard, make a background layer and lay a rectangle over it.

newayblue.com
    Thanks, I know how to get around not being able to differentiate between the artboard and the canvas (In Adobe terms), but i'm asking if there is a way to change the artboard, as this is an option in Photoshop and Illustrator CS3.

Doesn't this bug anyone else?

Multitouch Aficionado
    I'll often throw a rectangle around the stage when I'm testing, to make sure I'm using space well, but for production I always get rid of it.

One of the nice things about Flash is that it is vector based - it scales well to the user's screen. To color the stage independently from the rest of the SWF seems unneccessary to me, especially when the fix is so simple (use the Rectangle tool).

er, my artboard is gray...yours is white? Do you have Pasteboard selected under the View menu?

newayblue.com
    I only installed CS3 today, and yes, pasteboard was selected. When I unselect it, the canvas (document) aligns to the top left of the workspace. Is this how it should be?

Oh, how I miss Flash 5

I just installed CS3 and i'm having problems with the background color as well. When i choose a background color in properties the background doesn't change from white and when i use the rectangle tool the rectangle is also white and doesn't change to the color i select in fill color. I'm doing this in ActionScript 3. This is also my first time using flash.

I’ve realised where I was going wrong. I was previously trying to remember the shortcut for Bridge which is Ctrl + Alt o, however must have pushed Ctrl + Alt + Shift o which is the shortcut to change the preview mode to Outlines (view->preview->Outlines). In this mode color doesn’t show up. You must have the preview mode set to Full in order to view the changes you make to background color.

I had the same problem and it took FOREVER to figure it out.

The reason my pasteboard was white instead of gray was because my monitor's contrast setting was too low. Just crank up the contrast and see if that fixes the problem....hope it works for you.

Seems so simple now.