A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "What do I do?" In conversation

"What do I do?" In conversation

So I've graduated from university and I'm doing freelance work. It's design, web and video. I went to the hair dressers today and as per customary, the lady asked me what I did for a living, and I sort of stumbled about trying to explain what I do.

I don't want to say I'm a 'web designer', I'd like something that clearly says what I do, which is essentially media production, but without sounding too generic like 'media production'.

Any ideas?

"If it moves, if it's been seen, if it's been read while you're on a computer... I've done that kind of work."

Non-technical, leaves them open to ask questions on their own terms, and is rather informal. I've used a variant of that for the last 5 years.

Before that... "I make things secure, I make things work..." when the majority of my consultancy was in app dev and network design, deployment and security.

And when it was 3D "I can make the games your kids love"...

And the other stuff... from print work, to screen printing, to database dev, to (recently) Flex work... I just keep the explanations simple, use layman terms where I can.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

"I make those shiny buttons on webpages"
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I consider myself a graphics generalist. I don't see myself ever programming something that doesn't use them and it hints at my design/animation/3d/print/film backgrounds.

In my experience you get the same blank smile & nod no matter what you say. No chick has ever dropped to her knees immediately (because of what I do anyway) and no guy has ever offered me work on the spot so I keep it short and sweet and if they really care they can ask questions.

On a side note, when I hear the term 'hairdresser' this is all that comes to mind.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    On a side note, when I hear the term 'hairdresser' this is all that comes to mind.
    Funny. I think of Ronald Isley when I hear "hairdresser"...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

just say your are a producer.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I use; Production Designer, Digital Designer, Animator, Illustrator and Motion Designer depending really on what I have been doing that week.

Today I was coding emails after a solid month of broadcast type animation so I guess I'm back to "Production Designer".

How about this as a rule:
    1. Chatting someone up - you're a designer
    2. Everybody else - Animator. Everybody loves an animator (just don't get into .gif compression tecniques, yeah?)

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    hairdressers are basically so disinterested in the answer to their questions that simply saying you 'work with computers' is enough, and they will move on to other stock questions with the same 'I'm so really interested in this persons life and what they say' attitude ...it's called customer relations.

davidp
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

I usually say I'm a web developer, but I also need a new 'title'. People always say: 'oh so you make websites?' and the conversation continues in how they are thinking in having a very cheap and easy website, and ask me how much would it cost (I just hate that)...or, they think...'oh, you work with computers' and think that I can fix their broken printer, or see what's wrong with their floppy drive (although I know bout hardware, I'm a software dude, specially a web software dude).

I've been thinking the word 'enterprise' must be included in the title, so everyone knows I don't do work for free, or work at all, unless you're a big enterprise

maybe "web entrepreneur"
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

i think ppl should mind their business. i tip my hairdresser 8$ yet she always assumes a bunch of bs. just tell her its not of her goddamn business. if u dont wanna say that just say ur in sales
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

I'm an online poker legend.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by argonauta View Post
    I've been thinking the word 'enterprise' must be included in the title, so everyone knows...
    Just wear the uniform -- they'll get the idea.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

when i was in Uni, a typical conversation with barber was like:

barber - "what are u studying?"
    me - "graphic design"
    barber - "wow, using 3d cad, right? making houses and cars, that's cool"
    me - "no, mine's more like advertising"
    barber - *blank looks
    me - "marketing"
    barber - "oh, wow"