A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What 3rd party APIs do you use guys?

What 3rd party APIs do you use guys?

During last months I'm working on a new game and I finally I came to some point where I can see the end of my work

Now, my question is: what 3rd party API do you recommend to support, guys?
    After a short investigation I found following list of 3rd party APIs which looks promising, some of them I used in my previous games (like MochiBot, MochiAds and SimsCarnival) some of them completely new for me:

1. MochiBot
    http://www.mochibot.com/
    Helps tracking games on other websites

2.Kongregate
    http://www.kongregate.com/
    Provides API for on-site achievements system

3.MochiAds
    http://www.mochiads.com/
    Provides API for Ads, Leaderboards, Links tracking and Coins (for purchasing upgrades like level unlocks, equipment, special weapons and cheats to players)

4.Gamer Safe
    https://www.gamersafe.com/blog/
    Provides API to store save games across portals, API for achievements and gamers points, API for purchasing upgrades

5. Sims Carnival leaderboard API
    http://www.simscarnival.com/
    Provides API for representing leaderboard results for users on portal. Portal owned by Electronics Arts.

If somebody here already worked with any 3rd party APIs from the list above, I'll appreciate for any suggestions / recommendations.

Only MochiStuff and GamerSafe work anywhere.

Everything else is specific to which portal you want to upload to, most of them have their own highscore or achievements apis. So you could ask instead which of these thousands of portals are worth the trouble of creating separate site locked version with their special api.

Quote Originally Posted by tonypa View Post
    Only MochiStuff and GamerSafe work anywhere.

Everything else is specific to which portal you want to upload to, most of them have their own highscore or achievements apis. So you could ask instead which of these thousands of portals are worth the trouble of creating separate site locked version with their special api.
    Thank you very much for your reply Tony!
    Moderators always on guard? Huh

Now, seriously I also thought about Mochi API in the beginning, but now I'm not sure.

First of all they have incredibly low CPM, compared to competitors. I read on one forum regarding MochiAds low CPM rates that there is a good competitor which gives 0.40 for any user (no matter where user is located) compared to MochiAds 0.50 for US user and 0.10..0.20 for other region user.

The second problem is Ad representer itself. During last month, I take games from MochiAds to put on my website (it is legal if you do it as a publisher; you need to register or upgrade your account to do this), and I noticed that pre-loader sometimes stuck on 0 and never load content until refresh. there are also complaints about it on their forum. Until now it was not fixed.

Regarding new Mochi leaderboard - they are brilliant. Sure will go to use them.

What about Mochi coins and Mochi link tracer? Anybody tried it?

The last question is what portal most promising for support? Kongregate?

I have not personally used other ad networks so I cant confirm these figures. MA does not quarantee any money at all, it all depends where the visitors are coming from. Only players from US and western Europe generate something. You could have millions of plays and still earn 1 cent.

Then again, its not just about the CPM, for example GameJacket offered high CPM and went bust. MA for example offers more services so its more like whole package. You dont even need to sign up as publisher to use games from MA, anyone can host the games or just link to swfs. However, being a publisher and hosting the games yourself means mochi will pay small % to you.

I have not used MochiCoins or GamerSafe yet.

About Kongregate, I have not found it very good at all. I know some developers get massive plays from there and have earned nice sums but none of my games have done well there.
    Last edited by tonypa; 07-28-2009 at 02:50 AM.

Frankly I had bad experience with Kongregate too, but hope to change it in the future. Their revenue sharing program is worst I've seen, but I liked the way they build community and API for the achievements.
    GamerSafe permits to sign up as a developer by invitation only, so looks like the best choice today is to implement most of MochiAds services and in case of finding a game sponsor support his custom leaderboard?