A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Advice for my puzzle game Turret Tank

Advice for my puzzle game Turret Tank

I'm working on a new game (nearly finished) called Turret Tank, and I'm looking for a sponsor.
    You can try it here: http://www.flashgamelicense.com/view...p?game_id=6242
    Or if you don't have an FGL account already: llamalloverslland.com/turret-tank/tank-page.html
    I've posted on other forums about what it needs and have gotten responses such as these (red text is a comment by me):

"Also you should consider reskinning it, as people who are looking for a tank game maybe won't be interested in a puzzle game like yours and vice versa."
    What do you think about this?

"I would definitely ask a graphic designer for help as with those graphics I don't think the game will go too far"

"The increasing difficulty of the levels seems balanced and level throughout the game, and the time bonus decreasing rapidly gives a good pace to the game. I dont know if it was added in your later levels, but maybe some more obsticles such as orbs that don't explode would help out."

Please leave me some feedback on the game and what you think about the comments I posted.

Thanks!
    LaRue
    Last edited by etlarue; 07-23-2009 at 11:06 PM.

First of all as a rule of thumb, most people don't like to register on an unknown site just to view a link.

if you want help with something, It's usually more welcome if you make it easy for the people helping.

Could you please post a link to the game somewhere other than fgameL?
    In the process of designing a quirky little game engine called gulp. Check out it's progress below: @ my blog.

---

Check out my blog at XenElement.com

I wasn't thinking...
    Here's a link: http://www.llamalloverslland.com/tur...tank-page.html

I think I agree with all of the comments that others have posted EXCEPT the one saying a tank puzzle game is a bad Idea. This is a great Idea. yes, a graphic designer could make this game better, you could make a new thread in the freelancing forum to look into that.

I think my only complaint is the tank is waaaay too big, I feel as if I am a giant that should squash the targets, and not even bother shooting them.

all in all though, great job!
    In the process of designing a quirky little game engine called gulp. Check out it's progress below: @ my blog.

---

I've added an awards system to the game. (Three different types of awards). Tell me what you think! i.e. too easy to earn, too hard, suggestions for more awards, etc. You can also submit your awards to a high score table!

Turret Tank on FGL
    Turret Tank on my site

Thanks!
    LaRue

And now a cool little preloader! Tell me what you think! =D

Very nice, I like it! Much closer to being a game you would find on like miniclip or something. Good job. One complaint; are you not allowed to shoot off the screen? When I did I lost.

---

i like it too. cool little puzzle game. could use a bit more love on the graphics side though
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

thanks! the graphics has been mentioned multiple times in different forums, so I'll be working on that. But does anyone have any advice on what I could do to make the graphics better? Like what little nuances would improve it? (Other than hiring a graphic designer! =D)

Thanks!

i would hire a graphic designer. the gameplay deserves it
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

not gonna lie - i have no problem with the graphics. they could always be improved but the only change that i could think of is making the tank smaller like someone said earlier. also, before each level maybe alert the player of how many shots he'll have for that level. i kept forgetting i had limited ammo. other than that, great idea!

back on topic:
    I've updated the game with adamvan101's ideas: smaller tank and alert the player how many shots they get prior to the level.
    Tell me what you think!
    Turret Tank on My site
    Turret Tank on FGL

Hey that's a really nice little game, as Blink says, with some graphical love it could do reeeally well I thinks.

chrisErrorx

Ahh hrmm
    I found a bug at one point
    Not sure what caused it, but the spinny doodles in the later levels were going faster than they ought to have, while my shots fired slower like there was lag

I refreshed and the problem went away

Speaking of the spinny doodles, is it just me, or do they ramp up the difficulty considerably?

Thanks for the report!
    and it's not just you. they make it pretty tough