A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***Opensource Fighting Game Engine in development***

***Opensource Fighting Game Engine in development***

***Opensource Fighting Game Engine in development***

For the past few months I've been working on a flash fighting game engine 'Flash Fight', which I plan to release as open source for developers to use. Its framework is based upon the classic side scrolling beat 'em ups such as Final Fight and Streets of Rage.

Put simply, I would like your feedback on it! http://flashfight.blogspot.com/

Your comments are hugely appreciated and hopefully I can get this released as open source very soon.

Looks good, I think the fighting need some work though, its hard to get the player to stand infront of the guy I want to hit. And it feels weird that a enemy can get hit with the kick after the leg have been streched out (the leg is streched for like 1 sec, and if someone walks into it they get hit). The jumping needs some tweeking to imo

Overall I like it though, and I think a lot of people would use it as a template for there own games.

Is this written in actionscript 3?

Try out my game http://alpha.bombwar.com - Alphakey: fkaplha

Looks very nice! Reminds me Street fighter and Golden Axe
    Good job.

Pretty cool! One of the things I loved most about Double Dragon II (NES game) was that it had separate buttons for kicking, punching, and jumping which could be combined in a few ways for an interesting variety of moves. Sadly that doesn't work very well on a keyboard a lot of times..

Quote Originally Posted by zompo View Post
    Looks good, I think the fighting need some work though, its hard to get the player to stand infront of the guy I want to hit. And it feels weird that a enemy can get hit with the kick after the leg have been streched out (the leg is streched for like 1 sec, and if someone walks into it they get hit). The jumping needs some tweeking to imo

Overall I like it though, and I think a lot of people would use it as a template for there own games.

Is this written in actionscript 3?
    Melee attacks - fixed!

Completely written in AS2. Migration to AS3 will happen soon - but I'm not sure when!

I am debating whether to release the file as a complete open source (.fla) or as a series of documentations and tutorials... I feel the second option would be far more beneficial to the flash community. What are your thoughts?

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by navauk View Post
    I am debating whether to release the file as a complete open source (.fla) or as a series of documentations and tutorials... I feel the second option would be far more beneficial to the flash community. What are your thoughts?
    The tutorial/documentation route would definitely be more beneficial to the community. Someone that would need to use this open-source engine to make a game would be more likely to need help to understand how it all fits together. For newbies, it's hard to figure out each step because you have to take bits and pieces from tutorials all over the place. I know this firsthand because my first game was a beat-em-up like this.

It would be excellent to break up tutorials like...
    1. Movement
    2. Scrolling
    3. Collision/Attacking
    4. AI
    5. Level Design
    etc.

I would suggest for something like this to be AS3, but I may be biased because I almost only use AS3. The problem is that there aren't that many good AS3 tutorials out there so I'd like to see a great one.

Excellent work so far. My first beat 'em up was actually based on a lot of techniques from Marmotte's open-source fighter way back when. This will definitely help a lot of people out.

Your engine is a good start. There are a couple of tricks to making the combo's smoother. For exampleon't process the entire length of each attack animation if keys are being hit repeatedly.
    STREETS OF RAGE ENGINE
    That's an engine I whacked up a while ago. Should have posted it as open-source a long time ago but I'd been meaning to convert it to AS3 (next game!)

Do they allow you to put MochiAds on tutorials? Maybe I'll do that next time.

There are a couple of tricks to making the combo's smoother. For exampleon't process the entire length of each attack animation if keys are being hit repeatedly.
    Thanks! I've actually read some of your 'slaughterhouse' tutorials - very helpful. This engine looks good also. You've manage to develop a few more moves like grabs which I've yet to work out. Is there any insight that you could possibly give on how you've managed to achieve this?

The tutorial/documentation route would definitely be more beneficial to the community. Someone that would need to use this open-source engine to make a game would be more likely to need help to understand how it all fits together. For newbies, it's hard to figure out each step because you have to take bits and pieces from tutorials all over the place. I know this firsthand because my first game was a beat-em-up like this.

It would be excellent to break up tutorials like...
    1. Movement
    2. Scrolling
    3. Collision/Attacking
    4. AI
    5. Level Design
    etc.

I would suggest for something like this to be AS3, but I may be biased because I almost only use AS3. The problem is that there aren't that many good AS3 tutorials out there so I'd like to see a great one.

Excellent work so far. My first beat 'em up was actually based on a lot of techniques from Marmotte's open-source fighter way back when. This will definitely help a lot of people out.
    Sounds spot on. I'm definitely going to release tutorials to begin with. Then run up to a partial or full release.

Yes, many people have stipulated that they'd like to see it in AS3. This is a small problem for me as I haven't learnt it yet

Why don't you start out with explaining the logic behind your engine? That will stay the same no matter which language you code it in!

Also as3 isn't very hard at all, so if you get stuck anywhere, just ask!
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

A fair enough point I guess

I'm working on some basic documentation as we speak, hopefully will be finished in the next few days - touch wood.

cool I will be looking forward to it! I am making a similar fighting game in as3, and currently the only thing I need from your engine is that scrolling tween of the background!

Oh and on a side note, can you add a double-tap running feature, that really looks cool!
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

I see - well perhaps that is what I'll create a tutorial on first... Its one of the more simpler elements of the engine, but its an integral one.

Double tap for dash is proving to be a problem for now... I've recently made an update so that my engine can now recognise key combos, for example left + jump + kick = jumping side kick, but it does not recognise double taps such as left + left. Try it out: http://flashfight.blogspot.com/

I've also incorporated grabbing of enemies (just walk into them), but have yet to expand this to throws etc.

It's progressing gradually

I can send you the code for that engine if you like.
    Grabbing is done by first checking your character is within a set range of the enemy (pythag) then setting his 'state' to grab so that any attack/jump keys after that flow to another control if/else statement, which checks which keys and directions are being pressed.
    Then it's just a matter of using the same formula you do with combo's except now you're using another set of animations.

You also have to throw on a timer so that after a few seconds the enemy can 'escape' the grapple.

Thanks Kris! it might be interesting to compare notes.

I've worked out something similar for the engine, but its not quite there yet.

I've now posted two tutorials on the blog:

Basic Enemy AI Tutorial

Player Movement Tutorial

I'm starting with basics first!

Isometric Engine AS3

Great

Hi, i am really interested on what u ve done. I m also working on an engine but mine use isometric vue. I would like to know if u have links to gameplay tutorials to help me understand how the fight parts is handling.
    Hope here some news soon from ur blog
    AngelStreet
    myBlog
    Google Code Project
    Engine Demo

Salut :)

Great engine and has some great potential. It would be nice to see it progress a bit more. Do you plan on fixing the controls? I found them to be a little awkward.

I'm working on some tutorials right now to handle fighting and attacks. I use hitTests and status checks, thats the basics of it, but I'll let you know when the tutorials are up.

I've added you as a friend on my blog so I can check in on how its going.

Bon chance mon ami!

pretty cool game reminds me of the old capcom and snk fighting fames like streetfighter. Also a bit bloody but I really like it. Maybe you should work on the players karate skills, sometimes a bit awkward. but hey great game for some spare time

New Demo Release

I've given the engine some major updates. It's feeling more like a real game now, and I'm really happy with how its going. Some bugs have been fixed and controls have been made less awkward.

• Improved enemy AI using a finite state machine
    • Jump + kick combos in full effect
    • Special attack added
    • Sprite animations improved
    • Made more responsive, with great flexibility for controls
    • Actionscript has been streamlined

http://flashfight.blogspot.com/ - You can play the new demo here!

Any ideas for improvements?

odd when it loads up my character is attacked and the upper part of his body gets cut off and he goes flying into the corner of the screen and the player isn't responsive.
    Game doesn't work at all.

But I am looking for a open source game engine which works.. I tried to contact you about possibly editing it. I would really like to see how you did the side scrolling part.
    edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you

Thanks, I've fixed the problem. It'll be included in the next demo update.

As for access to the code - its not released yet, so you'll have to wait!

But basically: The scrolling is done with a simple easing script which moves the entire game left and right. The code checks whether the player is centered on the screen and if he isnt then eases the game in the right direction until centered == true. There is then an array of coordinates which limits the scrolling at points throughout the game.
    Last edited by navauk; 09-08-2009 at 08:40 AM.