A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Microtransactions in flash games

Microtransactions in flash games

What do you guys think?Does it have a future?

https://www.gamersafe.com/
    http://www.nonoba.com/developers/payment/overview
    http://www.heyzap.com/
    https://www.mochimedia.com/developers/coins.html

Nitrome has released his first game with mochicoins, some seems to be doing very well, like that SASzombieWhatever, and others not so well

I would like to use nonoba, but what scares me is that almost noone is using, why???Whatevar

I was also wondering about this same topic and more after I saw Nitrome's Twin Shot 2 in NG. I think it might take some time for people to get used to this system, cus I read some reviews people made on the game and most seemed pretty disapointed on having to pay to play the unlockable part of the game; though those were extra levels and you had a complete game already with the ones that are free. It also hurted the game's score, cus it deserves lot more than what it got. Not everyone took it on the bad side though, there were some that looked it more objectively and supported it, which seems pretty fair to me because it was a plus to the game.

I like the idea of this system actually, because not only could developers earn more for their games but also it would push us to make better games worthy of having to pay some bucks for cool extra content. Of course if the game is not good enough, few people will be paying. But if people is using it is because the game is good.

The thing here, I think, is that we all are used to play Flash games for free. So when people start looking games in which they have to pay for extra content, it can freak them out, which is already happening. And has happended also with Youdagames' demos submitted to NG.

I think it does have a future, but the pioneers in this system will have to bear all the flaming until people gets used to it. I personally prefer getting a sponsor; the effort is still very well payed off, and you don't get the risk of having your game underrated because of this fact.
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

The Cheeze to Your Macaroni ColbyCheeze's Avatar
    I think it is about time, Flash developers have been creating great games for free or for very small returns for far too long. One of the great things about Flash games is that they ARE free, however I've played really well built games before that I wouldn't mind paying a small price for if there was a bit of extra content or something like that which i could unlock.

I certainly can say that I don't want to be paying coins to play every single crappy game out there, but the good ones will be sorted out by the masses...SAS zombie w/e is a sweet game. My brother and I have played it multiple times, which is very rare for me to do with flash games.

Yes, in future all the good Flash games are funded using MT.

Thank you for the links. I thought there are only two micro transactions systems
    Mochi and GamerSafe before you posted your links.

I've played a little with games that uses GamerSafe and must state that it is very good. You can login, register very easy and everything will be stored in one place: achievements, purchased items, save games. No matter where you playing.

I think it is very useful systems but developer must carefully decide what he wants to give for free in his game and what to sell. That's the big question, because the wrong decision can easy decrease game popularity both for free and pay users.

Personally I want to implement GameSafe in my last game, but still didn't get response from them. ;(

Now I'll go and check other options

Nonoba looks promising with their 70/30 revenue split program. It is better then Gamer Safe with their 60/30/10
    Obviously there are no information on revenue on HeyZap. Anybody used them?

I've got Mochi and Nonoba coins without paying for them, using the 'fill out surveys' payment option for both. As a user I'd say neither of the API's are better than the other for the whole sign-up/purchase, it's all made pretty simple (I'd imagine even moreso if you used paypal instead). If you want to see an example on Nonoba, there's also a game called Funkyball which has premium levels.

As for the development side, again, they're pretty much exactly the same. You just import the API and just call the functions as needed. But, of course, there's the fact Nonoba offers a higher cut for developers, which is always a plus. I think the sudden 'boom' in mochicoins users was just down to hype.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I've played this funkyball game, seems that you pay in dolars...
    Other variable is, nonoba is a portal, i supose it would be difficult to submit a game to other portals since it will make the user go to nonoba to register
    Last edited by Incrue; 08-03-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Incrue View Post
    I've played this funkyball game, seems that you pay in dolars...
    Other variable is, nonoba is a portal, i supose it would be difficult to submit a game to other portals since it will make the user go to nonoba to register
    Actually, the whole process is done in a way that you never have to leave the gamepage to go to nonoba. All the registration is done in-game (the pop-up for the purchase). You only have to leave for your payment option.

And it's priced in dollars but only because of the majority of the audience will use that current. However the company is based in Denmark, you can use your card regardless and paypal automatically converts anyway so it's not really a problem.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I love it. I think MT is a much better system in every way than crappy ads.
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

Will moderate for beer
    The big thing that all the microtransaction frameworks are currently missing is a way to give money BACK to the player.

I've long had an idea like BringIt.com which was featured on slashdot this week, but it hinges on players being able to actually win money.