A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flv question

flv question

Hello,
    I am creating a video program in Flash CS4 with AS3. I have a main video FLVPlayer and small FLVPlayers at the bottom(click on the small video to view in main video)... simple

What I would like to do is, instead of loading the whole movie in each small FLVPlayer, I would like to load the first frame and stop loading (kinda like a first frame screen shot). Is there any way that I can start the loading process and then stop after the first frame is loaded?

Thanks in advance for any input!!

-Jake

Ө_ө sleepy mod
    Hrmm - a better solution would be some way of assigning each video a thumbnail jpg somewhere and calling that. But, if you're set on using the actual videos you could use a VideoPlayer object and call .close() as soon as you get a progress event...definitely hacky but it ought to work.

You should create thumbnails for videos. Otherwise the video will have to be loaded completely.

If you have access to a crossdomain file on the site you're loading from, it IS possible to stream the FLV and capture a bitmapData.draw() off the first frame when it comes in, without loading the whole file. To do this you also need to be running flash media server or something open source that will stream the .flv like xmoov. But yeah, if you aren't making the thumbnails up front, it's gonna tax the **** outta your server to do it that way. The only reason I can see doing what you're talking about would be if you were building an app that finds and thumbnails .flv's dynamically, client-side, ON OTHER SITES THAT HAVE OPEN CROSSDOMAIN FILES, THROUGH SOMETHING SERVER-SIDE THAT CAN STREAM THOSE FLV's...otherwise you're wasting your time... and the security side of that enters into some pretty advanced ****.