A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Teach a computer to beat mario

Teach a computer to beat mario

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ate-mario.html

Should be an interesting outcome. I wonder what most people will try to accomplish with it. Obviously the fastest run will come out of it using warps and the like. What would really interest me is if someone created code that can rewrite and evolve itself to complete the "perfect" run of mario. Such as a run through the game collecting every coin and killing every enemy while also doing it the fastest possible and getting those 6 fireworks at the end of every level and by doing that getting the highest possible score.

Any of you have what it takes? I remember a member completing something in flash that solved a maze game VERY quickly. Obviously mario would be a little more time consuming but would be cool if someone here tried.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Sounds like a job for Autoit, and someone with way more free time than I do.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Interesting. Technically, they're not teaching the computer. That would be easier in comparison since you could just program a series of actions. They're programming the computer to learn on its own how to win the game.

I wonder how they will account for vision. In other words, can their program know the coordinates of the enemies empirically? Or, do they need to write code that deciphers that from some kind of optical device? I think that would make it a completely different task to accomplish.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

I've seen people make scripts with autoit that can track the motion of enemies on screen by using pixel searching functions, I've never messed with any of those functions myself though.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan