A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The failure that is AS3 - time to act

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc View Post
    non-issue: Adobe is not making a product out of it. and imho the complication it brings is not worth of speed. if speed is your problem, that's your application design fault: you simply should not be doing this in flash.
    what does adobe not making a product out of it have anything to do with a ****ty compiler? i'm talking about shortcomings, you're talking about choosing the wrong platform for something, which i'm not.

perhaps you'd have been happier if i just summed up my post instead of having gone into some detail:

i like as3. it could be a lot better.

Still it's vastly better than it used to be in AS2. Have you used the debugger? Even in Flash IDE it will give you a breakpoint when it crashes and you can check which variable is a null by hovering over it.
    It always does give a line number I think.
    Long time coming this reply but had a lot on lol. Anyway yes i have used the debugger but for games its useless. On a bigger project (which is what im mostly doing these days) the debugger will just crash because it cant handle the amount of variables and other data and i have to close down flash. I havent used flex but im not convinced it would be any more useful from what ive read
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara View Post
    Long time coming this reply but had a lot on lol. Anyway yes i have used the debugger but for games its useless. On a bigger project (which is what im mostly doing these days) the debugger will just crash because it cant handle the amount of variables and other data and i have to close down flash. I havent used flex but im not convinced it would be any more useful from what ive read
    Weird, I haven't used the Flash IDE debugger much but it's never crashed for me. The Flex debugger atleast can easily handle it, I've used it in MMOs and almost all of my own games and never had problems.
    http://hatu.biz
    Portfolio & games

Yeh tis a bit annoying. It might be a cs3 problem but i remember similar things happening before as well. Not sure if its because i use flash develop as my coding tool. It would be a fair bit quicker to debug if i could use it but oh well lol. Ill take a look at flex and see if its something the company will get for me :P
    If our body is a clock ticking away and if while we experience all that this world has to offer time has still continued to pass, are we living or just experiencing a slow death?