A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash in powerpoint (mac)

is it possible to embed flash movies into mac versions of powerpoint, while retaining interactivity?

so far i have only been able to import them as linked quicktime files.

good question, i would certainly like to sknow also if anyone has done this.

I actually wanted to even go a step further, to actually control powerpoint through the flash file...

This one is for flash 5. If you type powerpoint into the search box in the tutorials page you will get more.

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/3r...86/index.shtml

thanks for the link--but i think it addresses the windows versions of powerpoint (97 and 2000). i'm building a presentation that will be used strictly on mac powerbooks. we're running powerpoint 98, but i also have access to mac office 2001, if that would help.

on the mac version, i can access the visual basic toolbar, but i don't see a "control toolbox" icon, as the tutorial suggests.

any other tutorials that might address macs specifically?

thanks for the help....

try typing powerpoint into the flashkit search and see what comes up. I have never dealt with powerpoint on a mac so I am not sure of their differences. Wish I could be more help.

Flash in Powerpoint

Yes, anything that you can do in Flash can reside in Powerpoint on a Mac. Buttons, rollovers, ect...

Your "Stage" in Powerpoint is exactly as your "Stage" in Flash. You can build a complete Web site within Powerpoint if you care to do it. Flash is really impressing some of the business people that are use to just Powerpoint and are unfamilar with Flash's power for impact.

frankco---

im confused. do you mean i should recreate the flash animation using PowerPoint's custom animation and action settings?

what i would like to do is import the movie as an .swf file, retaining all actionscripting that i programmed in the flash environment. it is my experience that flash renders a more sophisticated and user-friendly product than powerpoint.

so far, when i import an .swf file to PowerPoint, PowerPoint automatically converts it to a Quicktime movie (*.mov), which of course leaves me with no interactivity.

is there some other way to import the movie that i don't know about?

thanks.

Flash in Powerpoint

Hi mcguirk,

>im confused. do you mean i should recreate the flash >animation using PowerPoint's custom animation and action >settings?

No, sorry to say you can not recreate the kind of animation you get in Flash with Powerpoint. Of course if you could, we would all be Powerpoint junckies ...eeeyick.

Powerpoint can embed swf files. The link that satkoski posted will show you how to put swf files in Powepoint. Those swf files retain all of the animations, functions or actions if you will that a stand alone swf file does, only you'll be viewing them in a Powerpoint slide.

There are somethings you have to watch out for when previewing the presentation. If you preview your presentation in Powerpoint,(with the program open), all of the properties of the swf files will change. The next time you view the presentation your swf files will not play. The workaround is to save the presentation as a Powerpoint show or pps file. Get out of Powerpoint and double click the pps file to open your presetation. This will keep all the properties of the embedded swf files from changing.

Another thing to watch out for is you mouse will not work to advance to the next slide if the pointer is on the flash animation. You will have to move the mouse off the animation or use the arrow keys.

>so far, when i import an .swf file to PowerPoint, >PowerPoint automatically converts it to a Quicktime movie(*.mov), which of course leaves me with no interactivity

Your right, when you export your Flash files to video you loose all of the actions created by action scripts. Exporting to video will only grab the main time line in Flash and not other movie clips you have in your fla file.

You should just export you flash to a swf file and insert the swf file directly into Powerpoint. Again see satkoski's post.

I hope I haven't confused you more :-)
    Good luck

frankco--

thanks for all the good tips and the workarounds--unfortunately my client deals exclusively with macs. the link that satkoski posted deals with powerpoint 97 and 2000, which are both pc versions. the pc version furnishes a visual basic toolbar, which allows you to import the files as swf.

as far as i can tell, there is no such tool in the mac versions of powerpoint, 98 and 2001. all of the tutorials that i have encountered deal with pcs. i haven't found any information in the mac powerpoint help files or on the microsoft online help.

but thanks for the tips and i will keep them on file should i start working in a pc environment..

thanks again.

I had the same problem with getting an embedded SWF in a PowerPoint presentation to run on a Mac. Works like a charm on the PC, but no go on the Mac side.

According to the Microsoft site, ActiveX controls only work on Win flavors 95, 98 and NT, but not the PPT Mac Edition.

Sad, but true.

For more info, go to http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q241/4/93.ASP

Art Duszynski

Howdy,

I just wanted to confirm that the embedding techniques for getting Flash into Powerpoint ARE ActiveX dependent, so there's no way that they'll work on a MacOS.

That said, there are a number of ways to get your Powerpoint content out of Powerpoint and into Flash. On the Mac platform it may be easier to build the entire presentation in Flash.

Hope that helps,
    Rick

POWERPOINT / FLASH

Hey there everyone - just a thought

Do your entire presentation in Flash.
    Export a Flash Projector for Mac and anyone can see it.
    As we all know, they don't even need a flash viewer on their computer as it is included in the projector file.

I recently had to build a sizeable presentation for a trade show. Did it in flash and made a projector file. It worked great, and the animations, etc. looked a hell of a lot better that PowerPoint.

I''m not sure what you can do in PowerPoint that you can't do in Flash (Maybe those great built in animations, huh?)

Just a thought.
    Best of Luck

Quote Originally Posted by ;350408
    is it possible to embed flash movies into mac versions of powerpoint, while retaining interactivity?

so far i have only been able to import them as linked quicktime files.
    Hello Mcguirk,
    I know this post was a loooong time ago, but I was wondering what you wound up using as a work-around?
    Thanks