A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Website Flash Banner

Website Flash Banner

Hi,
    I'm new to website building and have created a Flash banner on my home page (although it isn't located at the top of the page). My website is: www.brianmcurran.com. Well, the Flash banner is 343kb in size. Is this a normal size for a Flash banner? Should I use a preloader or the satay method to eliminate the empty time it takes for my banner to load, once someone initially visits my site?

Thanks,
    Brian

Yes, that is definitely large for an Flash banner. I'd bet money that your problem lies in the images you use, you want to make sure you resize and optimize them for-web using a different app, such as Photoshop. Once you have the images sized appropriately, import them to your Flash file... this should reduce your file size significantly.

~Jason
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondefra

Thanks Jason. Yes, each one of my little images is about 70kb, hence the total swf size of 343kb. The thing is, at this point I'm new to photoshop too, and the quality of the images has already gone down allot when I reduced them in Photoshop. In light of this, would you recommend a preloader or some type of method like the satay method, to address the time it takes for my movie to load?

Brian

Load the images dynamically by using the loadMovie() function in AS2.