A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do in NYC for a day?

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar

What to do in NYC for a day?

Going to be in NYC for a daytrip week after next.
    Never been and looking for suggestions.
    I know they recently opened the Statue of Liberty back up to visitors so we might check her out, but other than that we don't have any plans.

...except finally trying that pizza all the New Yorkers rave about.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

I would suggest if you like Alex Grey to check out his galleries(he has 2) his work in person is mind blowing. I've only been to the city a dozen or so times so I am not sure exactly what to suggest other then to just wander around and take it all in and there will be too much to take in a day...

Definitely hit in at least a section of the central park and take some photos.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Central Park, High Line, Chinatown, Ground Zero (if you're into that morbid curiosity thing), walk the streets - soak in the 'land', find a street fair, pick up the Village Voice (red boxes on the street corner), catch a http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56, walk thru the village, Top of the Rock, have a sandwich at Katz's and sit at Travis Bickle's booth - Eat half/take the other half home.

Statue of Liberty is a HUGE investment of time. Basically, plan on doing nothing else if you want to do that. Why only one day? It's a pretty big place to do only one day...

Pizza is very abundant, but not always good. Try John's on Bleecker, then scoot over the Magnolia Bakery to wash it down with some cupcakes.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 08-31-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    Why only one day?
    We're going to be in Jersey visiting the wife's family for a few days and she suggested a daytrip to NYC.
    It'd be nice if it was longer, but it's not possible this time so I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for the suggestions... especially the pizza.

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Unfortunate. Well, if you MUST hit lady liberty, your pizza destination should be Adrienne's in the Wall Street area.

I'm sure you can find some tickets to the Yankee's game, that stadium always has a ton of empty seats.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I'm sorry you have to be in NJ.

Former NJ'er right here.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Where in NJ will you be? I know of exactly 3 pizza places that will match if not best NYC pizza.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC View Post
    Where in NJ will you be? I know of exactly 3 pizza places that will match if not best NYC pizza.
    obviously this is a lie. from what i was told numerous times on this very site, New York has the best pizza in the galaxy.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Pemberton

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    obviously this is a lie. from what i was told numerous times on this very site, New York has the best pizza in the galaxy.
    I misread this. Was going to say that 42nd street has long been cleaned up of prostitution.

Carry on.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Let me clarify -- for the argument of NY pizza, I will stretch that to include all 5 boroughs, NJ (let's limit that to Northern, though) and Long Island.
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...4&postcount=37

As far as Yanks tix being available, perhaps you should postpone your trip till October and switch it to Boston, at which time there might be plenty of empty seats at Fenway.

Ah, near Fort Dix. Not much there. You're actually closer to Philly than NYC.

I'd skip Yankee stadium. Overpriced.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

I'd skip Yankee stadium. Overpriced.
    Agreed - find a good local pub and catch the game on TV.

The new Yankee Stadium feels like a renovated version of the old one, with better concourses and a mausoleum on the outside. There's now a "moat" surrounding the expensive seats, and 2 security guards at each entrance, to make sure you're not someone who's not supposed to be there. There's also a $60 per person buffet lunch, and d-bags hanging out in the "Jack Daniels Bar" watching the game on TV...at the stadium. It's farce, I'm glad I didn't pay for tickets.

Ah, near Fort Dix. Not much there. You're actually closer to Philly than NYC.
    Yeah. Last time we visited we did a daytrip in Philly.
    I loved it.

...only 3 more hours to go and my vacation officially begins. Yay!

Just found out we're going to be in the vicinity of Washington Square tomorrow so I'll definitely be hitting John's on Bleeker.
    Thanks HR.
    Everything I've read about that place tells me that's the one I want.

Now, how about a good NY bagel?

Only two to bother with, imo. Either Ess-A-Bagel (my personal fave) or H & H.
    Some will recommend Murray's as well.

Don't forget to save room for the Magnolia cupcake after John's too. (see above) Singing that Chronicles of Narnia nonsense is at your own risk though.

Ninja Flash designer
    This may be my nerd side showing, but I'm pretty sure the Sanrio store and the Pokemon store are both in NYC. That'd be reason enough to get me there.

Ok hanratty, I just left John's on Bleecker. Easily a 9/10. Fresh basil, pureed tomatoes instead of sauce, all the right things. I can't really say if it's better than the place near me (Brooklyn's in Edgewater), which is owned by the guywho owns Grimaldi's in Brooklyn. It's hard to compare, because John's has a nice thin crispy crust, but it's drier. Brooklyn's ses generous helpings of good fresh wet mozzarella, which makes a super crispy crust nigh on impossible, bt he crust does have a nice olive oily tinge to it and is crispy without being dryaround the edges.