A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: get URL - issue on banner ads

get URL - issue on banner ads

Actually the banners were created in in CS4

I am working with Right Media and a company affiliated with them and it has been extremely difficult to provide flash banners that work with their ad server.

This is what they ask for

on (release) {
    getURL(clickTag, "_blank");
    }

and it is exactly what is in the files I provided and yet when the files are decompiled it shows me this.

button 18 {

on (release) {
    getURL(clickTAG, "_blank");
    }
    }

movieClip 21 {
    }

movieClip 27 {
    }

movieClip 28 {

frame 90 {
    stop();
    }
    }

button 31 {

on (release) {
    getURL(clickTAG, " ");
    }
    }

movieClip 43 {
    }

button 44 {

on (release) {
    getURL(clickTAG, "_blank");
    }

I cannot find button 31 in the library or on the time line as well as the movie explorer.

The action script in the movie explorer has been changed to the proper format and yet the banner does not click through and or open a new window.

How do I resolve this issue?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IJ

What do you mean by ad server?

Hi

Just wondering what do you mean by ad server? How have you the adverts
    saved are they as a swf??

actionscript within the swf

I have created banners that link to a url is this what you are looking for?

The banner you export it as a swf and you embed actionscript within the file
    you create an invisible button and then you link that button to the url is this what you are lookin for?
    Last edited by tgdesign; 09-02-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Hey TG

There is an ivisible button on there and it is the button that I changed in the timeline/movie explorer in flash, but when the file goes through QC they claim there is another button where the code is inncorrect.

button 31 {

on (release) {
    getURL(clickTAG, " ");
    }
    }

I cannot find this code in the action script and I have looked and looked.

Yes the aderts are banners and they are all swf's
    Ad server is where I load my banners to - to be shown across the network.

I am now running into a situation where the company tells me they need to provide a wrapper for eacher version of flash 6-10 and my ads cannot be servered until they write the code? This certainly is a nightmare as I was just hired for this job and had no clue that the banner advertising industry had no standard for of all things
    clickTAG!!!!!!

It's almost unreal.

I don't know that there is a reasonable, straight forward answer.

This might help

Look at this tutorial on you tube it might help it it about linking buttons and linking to URL using actionscrip 3.0 it helped me when I was stuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUJkqzCM3L4

The buttons they use to link using the actionscript you would change to an invisible button on to
    a seperate layer on top of all your other layers in flash and add the actionscript on to another layer on
    the time-line.

Where do your ads have to load to?

Let me know if this is any help??

TG

Explaination the clickTAG or click through is not working

This is getting better and better as we wend out way deeper into Yahoo and Right Media!

"The issue is actually with the SWF file itself. It has explicit logic to only click through on non-secured pages (my.yieldmanager.com is secure) so you'll need to "borrow" one of our other exchange entity's vanity domain to upload these as those will be unsecured. ... "clickTAG" as your click variable (case-sensitive) if it asks.

It has explicit logic to only click through on non-secured pages
    Does anyone know what in Flash files would cause this to occur?

This seems to be getting overly complicated for a banner ad.

Have you checked throughout your file that there is only ONE button (another words check all instances to make sure they are MCs or Symbols). This one invisible button needs to be the TOP layer in the file.

If they are loading it into a ad serving network then it shouldn't matter what page it shows up on as long as the clickTAG variable is specified correctly in both the HTML and Actionscript. If they haven't specified the clickTAG variable on the HTML page/network then it will not click through. If these banner ads are being distributed into the Yahoo network then the Yahoo network should be used to load the banner ads, not a third party.

There are several variations of clickTAG but since they gave you the one to use it should be correct. According to the decompile info above it appears you have another button after frame 90...

It also might help if you attached you .fla...
    Last edited by jet71dl; 09-04-2009 at 08:44 AM.

getting overly complicated for a banner ad ( quite an understatment)

I think the decompiler they are using is wrong - the company also accused me on writing this as action script -
    on(release)
    {
    @getURL(clickTAG,clickTAG);
    }

This cannot be real ?

I have attached the file for Sh|ts and giggles - we may be headed to a new network for advertising but would like to try to resolve this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Look at the attached, that should work. You did have two buttons on it...
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have given them other files with the invisible button on it and they still don't work according to them.

That should work, you did have two instances of the button you created on it though, I removed one and created a single invisible button for the whole ad and moved it to the top layer. If that doesn't work, then the problem is on their end. I do hundreds of banner ads a month and that is how most ad networks accept the clickTAG...

what actionscript are you using

Hi

Just want to ask you what actionscript are you using actionscript 3.0 or 2.0?
    This is I think what is causing your problem. I tried adding the actionscript to your file and it worked but I had to export it as actionscript 3.0! It is cs3 cs4 flash you are using?

TG

A lot of ad serving networks won't accept AS3... Both files are using AS2.