A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D rotation problem...

3D rotation problem...

Hi guys,

Been a long time since I have posted here (and I mean a reaaalllllllly long time). Getting back into the Flash game after roughly a 5 year hiatus! Needless to say, much has changed (much has stayed the same)... anyway...

I am playing about with the 3D manipulation tool in Flash CS4, I am attempting to create a basic rotating 3D cube (non interactive) (I have created the basic animation in Swift 3D and imported to my Flash project)...

... Now my plan is to "texture" the cube by simply importing a photograph into my project, and using the 3D tools simply tween the photo over the top of the impoted swift 3D animation to give the effect of the photo rotating with the cube... and it works! To an extent anyway... here is my problem...

This is my setup:

Main stage > container movie clip with 2 layers (containing the imported swift 3d animation) + my imported photo. I have animated the photo using the 3D tools so that it mirrors exactly the cube animation (looks good actually). When i play back the movie clip from INSIDE the movie clip (ie. editing the movie clip) it works fine....

If however I go back to the main stage, move the movie clip down and left a bit to get it exactly where I need it, then attempt to play test/export the swf, the photo I carefully 3D tweened goes a bit crazy, not overlaying the swift 3D animation correctly anymore... hard to explain.

I'm guessing it might have something to do with the 3D tween being relative to the stage rather than the local movie clip co-ords... but I'm not sure.

Please, somebody enlighten me!

Thanks in advance!
    Freelance Software Developer & IT Consultant
    http://timloram.me.uk | Blog | Follow me on Twitter | PSN/Xbox Live id: Tankshell

Right, flash CS4 completely screwed up the 3D coordinate system capabilities.

Basically, a child movie clip is not allotted it's own axis. So, if you do certain things according the movieclips axis internally it will be different if placed in a parent 3D movieclip. I believe the child clip takes on the axis of the parent. I havn't determined exactly what it does myself, but that's the best explanation I can provide for now.