A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Show] Hash

Hybrid View

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar

[Show] Hash

Another new game . This one is a bit different for me. I'm not really sure how to best explain it, so just give it a go and let me know what you think!

http://armorgames.com/play/4518/hash

Cheers guys.

Ali

It's a quality little game, I like the "bitmappiness" of it. Is everything drawn to a bitmapdata or have you used some other tricks?
    New sig soon

very enjoyable, liking everything about this a lot
    my only complaint is that later levels should have checkpoints, other than that this has a very addictive vibe to it

I'm getting a bit tired of saying it, but excellent work mate.

Get back to Uni and give everyone else a chance

Squize.

nice work, I was a little frustrated with a complete level reset upon hitting an enemy just as I was about to get to the exit. But very cool game.

you got that bitmap blur down-pat
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

really great, simple, fun, and fast loading, definitely the kind I want to play repeatedly!
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

Cheers guys

Dudeqwerty, Thanks, yea, everything is drawn to a bitmap, but the bitmap has been scaled up to give it that pixely feel.

Tom, Thanks a lot, glad you like it. Don’t tell anyone but I made this game from start to finish in 24 hours, so things like that had to be cut out unfortunately.

Squize, it doesn’t help that you’re commenting multiple times on each of my games . Don’t worry, I start again in just over a week, just about enough time for another 2 games I think! Got a shmup I’m very pleased with just waiting for music.
    Thanks again mate.

Mr M, Cheers mate, see my comment to Tom about the checkpoints. I love messing with effects in flash, was pretty pleased with how the bitmap look worked, glad you like .

Bluemagica, very complimentary sentence, thank you .

Oh and I forgot to say, before anyone mentions it, there are high scores it’s just that they had to be disabled for the armor games version. They will be available in a month once the exclusive deal with armor ends.

Ali

nothing constructive to add... it's a LOT of fun. the violent screen shake makes dying surprisingly satisfying.

I loved to play this game, and it doesn't happen very often. Well done. It's a mistery for me how you can deliver so many quality games like this in such a short period.

Thanks a lot guys. Glad everyone likes it .

Sietjp, it's actually not that hard to make a complete game very quickly if you put your mind to it. You just have to keep giving yourself goals for every hour and get them done, treat it like an actual work day and you might be surprised what you have by the end of the day.

Ali

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I think you forgot the emphasis on "actual work day" and the disclaimer that that mindset rarely work in a typical work environment. Maybe it's me, but setting goals gets me nowhere. I have to just sit down and code and whatever happens to get done...
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

That's precisely why some people find it so hard to make a game quickly. My usual approach is also to do whatever I feel like doing on a game at the time and just chip away until it's eventually done. If I'd done hash that way it would have probably taken 3 weeks rather than 3, 8 hour days. My point is that if you do discipline yourself into getting everything done quickly and in order you would be surprised how little time it takes. A game that took me a month to make could have been condensed down to about a weeks work or less if I pushed myself and ignored those "I will do that bit tomorrow" feelings.

It's not for everyone, but I've finished 4 games this month and I'm well into another larger one. It's just a shame I start uni again next week!

Ali

If you do that as a full time job ( At an agency ) it's really easy to suffer burnout, like I did at preloaded.

But, it is the only way to get the work done.

Squize.

The game is now up on Newgrounds and Kongregate if anyone fancies giving me some nice votes .

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/512554

http://www.kongregate.com/games/alillm/hash

Cheers guys.

Ali