A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The Desperate Housewife Returns

Talking The Desperate Housewife Returns

Hi all!
    I have an idea where the internet can be viewed within a Flash Movie.
    I haven't the slightest clue as to if this has been done before, but I've seen pretty amazing things that Flash can do in the right hands.
    So please, if anyone can help me, I'd be appreciative.

I want to have an area within my swf where I can call in a weblink and have it viewed inside the actual swf, not linking to an external browser, I can do that :-D. I'm thinking maybe I need to create a movie clip first...
    Please help!

I'm sorry but are you joking???

Making a full html renderer in actionscript is ridiculous on so many levels. Most browsers' rendering engines are written in C or C++ which are about as low level as you can get for a third generation programming language. This means that they are FAST. Actionscript in relation is a snail.

I'm not saying its impossible - it would be extremely difficult and, frankly, a waste of time. The fact that you said:
    I'm thinking maybe I need to create a movie clip first...
    Shows that you are lightyears away in skill level needed to achieve such a feat.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this is just preposterous.
    New sig soon

However, on a more constructive note. There is a html component for the flex framework which will let you display html pages "within" your application with a bit of trickery. It will set you back 149$ though.
    New sig soon

A Movie Clip is a good start, might want to think about a few buttons also. Perhaps green buttons?

Thanks for the suggestion Beakers!

Dudeqwerty, thank you for the links, but maybe you seem to forget that you too were once a novice and that's the whole purpose of the forum to get help, not have your experience or skill level made a mockery of.

I apologise if you feel that I mocked you, it wasn't the intention. Just trying to deter you away from this idea.
    New sig soon

If you are really going to do all the learning for this, one suggestion I would have is use your backend language (php or whatever) to parse the HTML and develop a system in flash to align text, images, whatever based on information sent from php. Would take some load off of the user and php would run faster than flash.

Could make some kind of loop system. For instance php renders html and finds image. It tells flash something like image.jpg,13,20. Flash has a loop that positions all images with the loader. So like movieclipload the image then movieclip._x=13, movieclip._y=20. So just a loop for images, then would do same for textfields with size and position information sent from php. Would take A LOT of trial and error to get stuff to line up as you like though.
    ecards - My full flash site.