A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

Just bought a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L (non IS) at a very decent price - picking it up tomorrow. I wasn't really looking for one but when you get a good deal, it's a shame to miss out.

Anyway - any of you guys got/tried one? Any idea of the quality?

OK - Just tested this lens. I can see it has potential. I tested it at dusk not using a tripod and had it at 200mm for most of the time and the results were very blurry (as you would expect) I did get better results on a tripod and got quite nice pic of the moon. Here's 2 samples:

I guess this lens needs decent light as, with no IS and only going to f4, you need a quick shutter speed.

Have you guys got any suggestions how to get the most out of a telephoto lens like this?

I guess I'll be more impressed when I try it in daylight.

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    Those photos turned out awesome. Love the color on the moon shot.

That is definitely a lens for the outdoors or studio. After trying out the 2.8 version I don't think I could ever buy that though.

I'm going to give this lens some serious attention - this is my first L series lens and I'm guessing with a bit of work it's going to produce excellent results.

I was just assuming that it would blow me away straight away like I was with the 85mm 1.8 but I guess this lens takes a bit more work to get amazing results.

ahhh the 70-200 f/4 non is. It was my first(and only) L as well. I love shooting with it. I actually just shot a football game yesterday with it(haven't unloaded them yet)

ctranter has the IS version and has taken some wicked photos with it. I wish I could afford the f/4 and f/2.8 IS versions

If you don't mine me asking- how much did you pick it up for? I got mine for $530 shipped and paypalled(bought it from a member over at POTN) over two years ago.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I picked mine up locally for the equivalent of $400 (£250) which I think is a bit of a bargain for an L series.

Would love to see some of you shots with it.

Some more test shots - this time in OK light conditions. I have to say I'm really starting to like this lens:

It's pretty nice for portraits too even though you already have the 85...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Damn with all this gear talk it's making me want to sell my 70-200 and get a 85 1.8 and keep the difference towards another lens...

Surely the 85 1.8 would be more than a 70-200? Or at least what you'd get for it 2nd hand.

Tell you what though - the 85 is THE lens I couldn't get rid of. Well, maybe for the 85 1.2..

B&H Prices
    85 1.8 - $439
    70-200 F/4 - $659

What I've seen on POTN
    85 - as low as $300
    70-200 - as low as $500

So if I sold my 70-200(or traded) I would have roughly $200 extra to put towards something else. I loved what I got from the 85 1.8 and I am really getting into people portraits- but damn is 85 LOOOONG on a crop body. Especially for indoor portraits. hmmm I heard the Sigma 30 and 50 1.4 are killer glass.

ug.

I WANT IT ALL!!!!