A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: xhtml w/SWF plays on local machine but not on site

xhtml w/SWF plays on local machine but not on site

I have an xml driven swf enbeded in xhtml page that plays fine when tested on local machine through dreamweaver CS4 but once uploaded to site, swf won't load. The music plays however so I know it's not about the linking.

Here's the xhtml code:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="500" height="400" id="mymovie" align="middle">
    <param name="FlashVars" value="xmlFile=VVsite/robshow/virtual_tour.xml&preloaderBackColor=0x0099ff&prelo aderBorderColor=0xCCCCCC" />
    <param name="movie" value="VVsite/robshow/virtual_tour.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="best" />
    <param name="scale" value="noscale" />
    <param name="wmode" value="window" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" />
    <embed src="VVsite/robshow/virtual_tour.swf" id="mymovie" wmode="window" quality="best" flashvars="xmlFile=VVsite/robshow/virtual_tour.xml&preloaderBackColor=0x0099ff&prelo aderBorderColor=0xCCCCCC" scale="noscale" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" height="400" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" ></embed>
    </object>

Thanks for helping!

Almost always when Flash works on a local machine but not on the server, it's because of pathing issues. Remember that when you place your
    Code:
    <param name="movie" value="VVsite/robshow/virtual_tour.swf" />
    up on that html page, the path from there back down to the xml file must also include all those subdirectories in the .fla that creates your .swf. To test if pathing is a problem, just create a simple html page with your swf on it, and put it in the same directory as the .swf and the .xml file.
    So relative to the html page, what is the path to the .xml file, which provides the data?
    Best wishes,
    EfV

I see your point

Thank you Eye for Video,

I didn't create the fla and can't access the swf. But I get what you're saying since in original set up, html is in same directory as swf and xml and in my set up it isn't. This could very well be the issue. Thank you for enlightening me on that.

However, I am looking for another standard flash player with controls to replace the original swf for that file.

Do you think VW player would work as replacement for the swf in an xml driven case?

Thanks for your help

Do you mean JW Flash player? Seems like they get lots of good reviews:
    http://www.longtailvideo.com/
    Since I do custom Flash players I can't really add much more than that. But pathing relative to the html, xml, and swf still need to be addressed.
    Best wishes,
    EfV