A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: iPod & XAMPP help

iPod & XAMPP help

First off hi everybody, not been on FK for awhile been way too busy with work, still doing lots of photography and at some point I will drop by 88 and put some new pics up.

There is a sporting event that I am involved with in the UK and they have asked that I devise a scoring system for them and I have a idea but need a little advice before I go out and spend some cash on equipment.

Basically what I need to find out is if I have a laptop with a wireless router and setup a XAMPP server on it can I connect via wireless a iPod Touch to access the testing server, from the laptop I know it will work as I use one at home for offline testing of PHP scripts via Http://localhost/

The setup will be one laptop with the testing server and database driven scoring and 4 iPods for each game that is going on, the iPods connect to web pages on the testing server that handle the data entry for the scoring.

I don't have a iPod touch to test this and would like to know if it is possible or if any of you have done this before I go spend £600 on 4 of them.

Seems like it should work, though not through localhost...

You'd have to configure XAMPP to be accessible outside the local machine (WAMPServer requires this) then just set up the laptop and the iPod Touch(es) to use the network provided by the router.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Right ok, I will look into that, thanks.

The logic is all there on the working just that sometimes even the most logical things are hard to implement. Using the XAMPP server os mainly a back up as we have internet at the venue and I can run it all off the internet but we need a exact replica as a back up just incase as this event is going to be aired on SKY TV and they will be tapping into our database to run their onscreen scoring.

Just incase anybody in the future needs to do this here is the solution I have found and works great.

Set up your XAMPP testing server on your host machine.
    Connect a router.
    Connect the iPod touch via wifi to the router and direct the safari browser to the IP address given to the host machine by the router, this has the same effect as going to Http://localhost on the host machine.

Even easier than I first anticipated.

Glad it worked out. Those one-click apache/mySQL/php installs rock.

I've yet try one on mac. Should be cake due to how much already exists.

sweeeeet.

if I'm not mistaken, osx already comes with apache, mysql, and php installed, am I wrong?
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

I believe OSx does have those things, but having a single executable with an icon in the dock to run it is very appealing, especially to those not wanting to mess around with .conf files, etc.

I would prefer a solution that leveraged both cases. Configure what I already have and give me a dashboard to access it.

I would prefer a solution that provides a cold beer and a happy ending as well, but I don't see it coming anytime soon. if you must, though...
    http://oreilly.com/pub/ct/49