A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Seek button for FLV component

Seek button for FLV component

Hey all - I'm building an flv player using the cs4/as3 video playback component as a basis with custom buttons on the interface. I'm trying to figure out how to do rewind or fastfoward using a button instead of a scrub bar. I've seen plenty of tutorials on how to develop a scrub bar but I can't figure out a way to apply the theory to a button you hold down and it fast forwards/rewinds until you mouse off.

Obviously a mouse_down event only fires one signal and causes a jump effect if you click repeatedly, so is there a way of firing multiple events whilst holding down the mouse button?

I'm using
    Code:
    flvPlaybackComponentname.seek(flvPlaybackComponentname.playheadTime + fastForwardSeekAmount);
    to achieve the skip through the video, but this only happens as I said with multiple clicks.

Any suggestions??

thanks

frank

If you use the BaseButton class (or a Button component) it has an autoRepeat property that will do what you want:
    http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/ActionScriptLangRefV3/index.html?fl/controls/BaseButton.html&fl/controls/class-list.html

Hi thanks for that - but the code on that page a) doesn't work and b) flash cs4 doesn't know or seem to know what a ComponentEvent is - even with the events package imported into flash, it still produces a 1046 error.

I even tried the code at Adobe itself -

Code:
    import fl.controls.Button;
    import fl.controls.Label;
    import fl.events.ComponentEvent;

var myLabel:Label = new Label();
    myLabel.text = "0";
    myLabel.move(10, 10);
    addChild(myLabel);

var downButton:Button = new Button();
    downButton.label = "-";
    downButton.autoRepeat = true;
    downButton.setSize(20, 20);
    downButton.move(10, 30);
    downButton.addEventListener(ComponentEvent.BUTTON_DOWN, buttonDownHandler);
    addChild(downButton)

var upButton:Button = new Button();
    upButton.label = "+";
    upButton.autoRepeat = true;
    upButton.setSize(20, 20);
    upButton.move(40, 30);
    upButton.addEventListener(ComponentEvent.BUTTON_DOWN, buttonDownHandler);
    addChild(upButton);

function buttonDownHandler(event:ComponentEvent):void {
        var value:Number = Number(myLabel.text);
        switch (event.currentTarget) {
            case downButton:
                value--;
                break;
            case upButton:
                value++;
                break;
        }
        myLabel.text = value.toString();
    }
    and it still errors! What hope is there for learner developers if the samples don't work?

frank

Almost there, just drag a Button from the Components window into your Library window. A component cannot be created purely in AS3, they depend on the component (and its associated assets) being in your library.

Not sure if I can post this here, perhaps you can direct me elsewhere.

I have an e-learning application developed lets say a story book with audio and flash displaying the text, page by page. The audio is an FLV with cue points.

Can I skip to the end of this book or chapter using query strings? The application runs with .net and has post backs.

What I require is instead of sitting there listening/ reading to 20 mins of audio I'd like to skip to almost the end of the file where a questionaire resides about the chapter. While testing in flash I use the ns.seek(440); etc but need this to be dynamic where I can control the value if the seek using query strings or an external button (outside the flash). It should be an easy solution but dont know how to implement. Thanks.