A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Stop and Play DisplayObject

resolved [RESOLVED] Stop and Play DisplayObject

My friend and I are working on a flash project in actionscript 3, and we are trying to interact with the timeline of a DisplayObject (such as stopping, playing, gotoAndStop/gotoAndPlay), the same way you would if it was a MovieClip. None of the regular commands to navigate the timeline are working on it. Is there any way that we could treat it as a MovieClip or inteact with it as if it was one?

Which commands in particular are you using to naviagate the timeline?

We would like to use .stop(), .play(), .gotoAndPlay(x), and .gotoAndStop(x).

Will moderate for beer
    If it is not a MovieClip or subclass of MovieClip, then it doesn't have those methods. What would you expect those to do if there is no timeline?

I guess I don't understand what a DisplayObject really is. I thought it was something that can hold a movieclip, so we could access our movieclip from within the displayobject and stop it that way. Are you saying a displayobject has only one frame? That would make a lot of sense if it was the case.

Maybe it's best for us to stop using displayobjects and start using movieclips instead. I don't know when to use/not to use them, so it's a little confusing.

Will moderate for beer
    Bookmark the livedocs so that you can look up properties and methods on classes:
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/

A DisplayObjectContainer is the base class for objects which can hold DisplayObjects. A DisplayObject is anything which can appear on the displayList. DisplayObjectContainer is a subclass of DisplayObject, and MovieClip is a subclass of DisplayObjectContainer. That means that a MovieClip is something that can go on the display list and contain other DisplayObjects. There are other DisplayObjects, like Sprite (superclass of MovieClip), and Shape (a DisplayObject, but not a DisplayObjectContainer).

Generally, you should use the most general type which is specific enough for your needs. In your case, you probably want to use MovieClips, but be aware that calling play on a MovieClip will not play its children.

FK Rocks..!

resolved

I think, you are having the same problem as discussed here, I hope it will help you.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=805325
    Waqas A.M. Siddiqui (Vicky)
    Graphics Designer

Thanks to both of you, our issue was fixed. We realised we needed to use MovieClips and not DisplayObjects. All I had to do was run a find for all instances of DisplayObject in our code and replace them with MovieClip. There was only one line I needed to (barely) change to fit the movieclip concept into our code.

Now we are working with movieClips and everything is a LOT easier. And thanks, 5TonsOfFlax, for the link. I did bookmark it like you said.

The reason I love about flashkit is not only the quick responses to the topics, but also the nature of the replies. I get extremely detailed posts, telling me how to fix my problem. It's just a great site for help on actionscript.