A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Next step from Flash: AIR or Flex?

Next step from Flash: AIR or Flex?

I think I have reached quite an advanced level regarding Flash and Actionscript 2 and 3, and now I'm thinking on taking a further step: either Flex or AIR.

I know they focus on different matters. Flex is still related to the web and browsers, but more programming-oriented than Flash. AIR focuses on desktop applications which require some Internet connection.

Both things look appealing to me, but I'm not sure how much of one of them is recommended to previosuly know before facing the other. In case that before facing AIR it would be highly recommended to familiarize myself with Flex, I would start with Flex, or just the opposite.

What do you think?

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Go for AIR. Flex isn't anything special. It's essentially a framework for Flash. Anything you can do in Flex, you can do in Flash, it just helps you out.

And AIR doesn't require an internet connection. It depends on what your app is doing. You can easily build an app that doesn't need the internet for anything. The bigger advantage is having access to the local file system. You're able to write and read files from the user's computer.

I went full circle. Started out in Flash, terribly have disliked the timeline, moved to Flex, went to using Flex for AIR, then went full-circle to Flash and use(d) it for AIR.

Now, it matters on my mood, but Flex is nothing more than a bit more than Flash/AS3 for programmers and you can do most everything in Flash as you can Flex.... almost. There's very few instances where Flex outweighs Flash.

I tend to use Flex for any kiosk based apps, thus AIR or I use SWF Studio to encapsulate my output and add a layer if need be - or simply put, if it benefits from being desktop I'm going AIR so I can run easily on Mac, Linux and Windows.

I'd say bone up on AS3. It's a very deep well and if you feel like you've outgrown Flash, Flex will be sitting there waiting. I still find new things in it weekly.

Luck to you.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Air 2 is worlds above Air 1.5 . Flex 4 worlds above Flex 3. Since you already know Flash and are feeling the need to expand your toolbox, I would suggest starting with those versions so you are ahead of the eight ball when they go final. Migrating from Air 1.5 to 2.0 will be rather easy as the underlying framework hasnt changed much as it's mainly new features being added. Migrating from Flex 3 to 4 will be a different beast as many things have changed across the board.

If you have the time, and are inclined, adding these platforms cannot hurt you as a developer. It can only broaden your scope

thanks for your replies!

Too late to decide though. I bought a book about Flex 3 just a few days ago. But anyway I'm still very interested in AIR.

You can use Flex to build AIR apps... quite easily too. And listen to Chris... AIR 2.0 is a marked improvement over 1.5.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

www.rajkataria.com rajkataria17's Avatar
    Go for both
    As you have said you are very good at Flash ActionScripting... You don't know you are already good at Flex too. What you need is a basic introduction to be familiar with Flex, thats it. You'll start building RIAs in the next moment.

AIR is the future of desktop applications. I have seen some of the coolest apps built on AIR technology. Its definitely gonna in demand in very near future so its good to learn AIR now.