A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Background music in Swishmax 3

Background music in Swishmax 3

I added a 6 second background music loop to a project I'm doing in SwishMax 3.

The trouble is there is sort of a .5 second hiccup between the end and start of the next loop that is very audible.

I'm new to flash and SwishMax so I don't know how the experts get their background atmosphere music to flow smoothly and un-chopped.

Does anyone have any secrets on how to produce good sounding background loop?

This is the sound I want to use:

http://www.flashkit.com/loops/Ambien...1635/index.php

If you listen to it, you can hear the hiccup as it loops.

Thanks.
    Last edited by banned; 11-23-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    ...well, looks like that's the way that loop was created - if you look at the end of the of the sound graphic, you'll see a distinctive blip (the "hiccup").
    ...what you can try to do, is to "insert" the sound into a MovieClip in SM3 so it will appear in the timeline, then place a "go and play frame1" action in the timeline of the M/C before the blip appears.

wolf
    Last edited by wolfgross; 11-28-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks a lot...I will try that out when I'm ready to go back to working on background music...Right now I'm learning how to make a contact form in Swish 3. I'm really loving the learning process...There are stumbling blocks here and there but nothing that gives me the feeling "I'll never figure this out"...I have to say, this is really an enjoyable program to learn as well as use.

That's the guide I used to build the contact form I'm working on now. Worked as designed but I then broke it with my tinkering. Think I got the time line mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgross View Post
    ...well, looks like that's the way that loop was created - if you look at the end of the of the sound graphic, you'll see a distinctive blip (the "hiccup").
    ...what you can try to do, is to "insert" the sound into a MovieClip in SM3 so it will appear in the timeline, then place a "go and play frame1" action in the timeline of the M/C before the blip appears.

wolf
    Hi Wolf,

I finally got around to trying this and this is the script I used:

Code:
    onFrame (1) {
        playSound("abyss-Tony_Smi-888");
    }
    onFrame (343) {
        gotoAndPlay(1);
    }

Now it does go back and start from frame 1 but no matter where I put the stop or what music I use there is a clearly discernible pause when the track reaches the stop and begins again...

I've tried this with a .9 sec clip as well. Same result.

Is this normal for flash? Is there a way to loop a short atmospheric clip without anyone noticing it's looping or do the pros just use a really long clip?

Thanks.

I have heard that this has something to do with mp3 files

Try use a wav file and script something like this in frame 1

playSound("yourfile.wav",true,100,100,true);

Worked well in Swish2.

That's so weird that you responded to this today. I was debating whether to continue bothering people with this since I still hadn't figured it out. But I will try your suggestion. Thanks!

Flash is such a secretive learning process. I wish I had access to the brains that make the flash sites for template monster! Does anyone even use swish max 3?
    Last edited by wolfgross; 07-10-2010 at 01:57 AM.

>>flash is such a secretive learning process. - Does anyone even use swish max 3?
    ...btw, you are here at the SWiSH Max3 forums of Flash Kit.

>>I was debating whether to continue bothering people
    ...looks like you do as "chillspike" at the Swishzone forums.

wolf

hopefully this suggestion will work.

ultimately, i'd like to be able to design swish sites like the ones on Template Monster.

i suppose i should just take a course on swish design but I don't know of any.

do you?
    Last edited by wolfgross; 07-10-2010 at 08:57 PM.

...you're not "bothering" members - you just put that thought in your mind - try the member Guilherme Mello's suggestion - as for some learning help, check out Bill"s
    Kwik Start Guide for SWiSH Max2+3

wolf

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgross View Post
    ... check out Bill"s
    Kwik Start Guide for SWiSH Max2+3

wolf
    this is AWESOME! Thank you!

I also did find a web design course online that does included Swishmax!

i guess i'm not bothering anyone but i can't imagine how you answer everyone's questions almost every day. i hope they are paying you.