A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Aol.

Aol.

So, AOL apparently still think they have a relevant place in the world and are more than just a massive debt in Time Warner's books.

Just incase you're wondering, it's by the same company that made this:

Florian Schmitt of the London based design agency Hi-Res!: "I like the idea of changing and adaptive logos, but this is such a literal and clichéed attempt at it. I happen to know that they had very little time to finish this, but even so, this is poor. It's literally the first thing you would do as a moodboard and the first thing you would put in the trash as well."
    Oliver Reichnestein, creative director of Tokyo based design agency Information Architects Inc.: "Radical identity changes usually suggest that there is something wrong with the company. Well, we all know what's wrong with AOL. Their original business (Internet access) is obsolete. Dropping all visual keys and forcing the logo to a negative appearance on random images surely is a drastic measure. If the goal of the redesign was to illustrate how the company is slowly vanishing from the fast changing digital surface of the planet, I'd say: Job well done."
    More from The Guardian

What do we think?

Not that exciting to me. But, it is an improvement over their old logo.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

How does that company keep getting work? Anyway, saw this crap a couple of days ago, looks like **** then, looks like **** now.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

The last time I saw AOL was years ago when my friends parents were so used to it and used it so long when the switched to broadband they kept them as a media provider. Even they don't use them anymore. I honestly don't see how they are still a company.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z View Post
    I honestly don't see how they are still a company.
    You wouldn't. You're in your 20's. I can name 10 people I know who still use AOL as their ISP (though some are even on broadband now) because it's what they know. The excuse is always 'well, thats' where all my hearts (favorites) are' or 'I've always had that email address.' I've also heard 'If I don't have AOL, how do I get to the internet?'

Since I have no patience to have that discussion, I provide no retort.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Yes but like I said my best friends parents were the same way and they are very stubborn but even they are off of AOL now. Just surprised to hear people who are even more stubborn- because they're crazy haha.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Just noticed my father still has an AOL disc (circa 1997) as a coaster in his study and my neighbour has about 20 AOL and CompuServe discs hanging around her vegetable garden to scare the birds away from the berries.

That's hilarious because I gave away a whole box of AOL cd's to a friend for their garden. The other spindle went into the microwave

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Whoever sold this steaming turd to AOL should be commended. He must be one hell of a salesman.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

He probably said something like:

Going forward, this will invoke identity in a uniquely dynamic way, going forward, offering innovation consultancy going forward with identity itself as a platform for expression and creativity reflecting the content, going forward.