A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mysterious publishing problem

Unhappy Mysterious publishing problem

I'm making a large flash project using AS3 where the user takes a test of 170 questions. It chooses a random 10 sections out of 50, for which each section has 17 questions. I have a file that previously worked for just 15 sections that weren't random and started from there. The new file has 50 sections in one MovieClip and it hops to the frame of the randomly selected sections. Each section is a MovieClip of 17 frames of questions. After I added the 50 sections in the movie stopped working entirely. It is as if none of the code even exists. Simple buttons no longer work, stop(); commands are ignored, nothing works. All the movie clips just cycle through their content repeatedly. I don't get any error messages when it's compiled, so I don't know where to start. To further confuse me, it works on someone else's computer who uses CS4 even though it wasn't created using CS4. Everyone else has CS3 and it doesn't work for them either. Removing about half of the sections fixes the problem, but we need all 50. It may in fact need to expand to 65. We've scoured the code for hours and can't find anything wrong. Yes, there are stops on all the frames.

Is there some known issue that CS4 can handle that CS3 does not? Does Flash have a limit to how much it can handle in CS3? Any other insights please? Thanks!

u sure u are using gotoAndPlay and gotoAndStop properly, sometimes when you have a whole movieclip in "one single frame" and u use gotoAndplay instead of gotoAndStop it give some weeeeird effects.

Yes, they are being used correctly. I've run the course of problems through my years working and this is something I've never seen before. If I take out the about 25 of the 50 sections, no matter which ones, it publishes correctly. It seems like it's just associated with the sheer volume of sections or amount of code that needs to be processed.

Plus, gotoAndStop and gotoAndPlay work the same way in CS4 as in CS3 since the AS3 used is the same. So it doesn't explain why it works fine in CS4 on someone else's computer, but not on any of the CS3 versions on other people's computers. Would computer speed and power be a possible factor maybe? The only different factors I can see are the computer being used and the flash version.

Found the problem

We have found out what is going wrong finally. After taking out some sections, but not enough to get it to compile properly, it outputted an error message.

"**Error** , Line 1: 5005: Unknown error optimizing byte code."

Apparently there was too much code for it to process. I guess there was too much to even output the error message before. I'm going to have to rethink how this is set up to cut down on the code.