A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with Custom Movie Clip

Help with Custom Movie Clip

Hey everyone,
    I'm a pretty experienced flash developer, but this problem has got me duped.

So I have a movie clip associated with an external class in the linkage dialog. I put that movie clip on the stage. I have another external class that contains some code (not for the movie clip but for the stage). When I access the custom properties of the class in the actual flash file (not the external code) everything works fine.
    For example.
    myMovieClip.explodeTheCode = true;
    works in the main movie. However, it doesn't work in the external flash file when I have a reference to that movie clip.
    myRefToCustomMovieclip.explodeTheCode = true fails!
    It throws an error. In java, I'd just import the custom class the movie clip is linked to and then I can call all the extra custom methods on the movie clip in the external class I want. However, this does nothing. I still can't access any properties.
    So my question is, how do I access the custom features of a movie clip (that is linked to a custom class) from an external code file. It works in the movie, but not in the external source code. Any help would REALLY be appriciated.
    Sam

hi,

I'd suggest you upload a very simple example with your problem in order to help clarifying the situation.

Also, you should have mentioned both the AS and Flash version.