A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Faded color issue - HELP!

Faded color issue - HELP!

I'm running into a strange color issue that I have never encountered with any other website I've designed. I hope someone can help.

I have a psd file that my client sent me with a nice vibrant yellow/orange background with cream colored vines.
    You can see the jpg here: [link removed]

However when I imported that jpg into flash and used it as a guide to animate the vine paths, the swf comes out all pale looking. I used the eyedropper to match the color codes but it doesn't seem to help. Photoshop shows the background color code as "eeba30" and I've made sure Flash also has that same color code for its background but Flash just washes out the colors. See the swf here: [link removed]

I've tried using Flash CS3 on my PC and Flash CS4 on my Macbook. They both are giving me the same results. It's a AS2 file but I'm using very little code.

What is causing this color issue and how can I fix it?

Thank you so much for your help.

In the words of Marvin Gaye.... what's going on?
    Last edited by theloomis; 12-18-2009 at 05:11 AM.

The colors in the jpg and the web page look the same to me. Attached is a comparison sceen shot of the jpg, the web page, and also a rectangle of eeba30. To me, they all look the same.
    Could it be that your psd file is using cmyk color mode or some other color mode than RGB? To check, open file in PS then Image/Mode.
    Every monitor with have very slight variations from the next, the older the monitor the less bright. Test on a few more monitors.
    Could it be that your background in Flash has some alpha (tranparency) applied, so it's not as vibrant?
    Create a test .swf with just the color background, no image and see if it's as vibrant as you want.
    AAhhhhhh, can't think of anything else right off.
    Best wishes,
    EfV
    Last edited by Eye for Video; 02-19-2010 at 11:51 AM.

I guess what is puzzling me is that I'm not really importing much (if anything from photoshop). I'm just using photoshop's eyedropper tool to tell me what the color codes are for the image that my client sent me. For instance, I get the background color code in photoshop then I take that color code and create a rectangle in Flash for my background. But as soon as I compare the new Flash rectangle to the original image in photoshop there is a noticeable color difference, especially on my mac.
    I've never had this issue before.

I had originally thought it was a web-safe compression issue in Flash but I haven't found any proof that Flash only uses web-safe colors. I would think if that were the case then they wouldn't allow me to use a color code that wasn't web-safe but it seems to accept it just fine though the resulting color is a muted version. It almost looks as if I have the transparency set to 80% but I've double checked to make sure there is not any.

See attached screenshot. The one in front is Flash and the one behind is the original PSD file. You can see the Flash is more muted than the PSD file. Also I have syncronized my color management for all of my Adobe creative suite but it didn't seem to help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Eye dropper testing the screenshot on my machine shows #fec400 for the psd and #efba30 for the Flash. The psd shows up brighter on my machine because it's a different color.
    Redo your eyedropper test or try the #fec400 and see what happens.
    EfV

Well I still haven't figured it out but I'll post the solution that is getting me closer to what my client is seeing. I have asked the client to email me or upload a jpg of their artwork so I can see it in a web browser. Then I open Flash to the side of the web browser and use Flash's eyedropper tool to mouse over the jpg image in the browser. This tells me the HEX color code for what my client is seeing when they view it on their browsers. Preferrably ask the client what browser they use when they view your example work.

Again this hasn't completely solved the issue but my feedback from the client is "this is much closer."

Hope this helps a little.

Again, I am only trying to match colors to a background I am creating in flash. I'm not actually importing any jpg files. That is whole seperate RGB vs sRGB issue that is addressed pretty well here: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/02...ash_color.html (click on the Mchael Ninness video link.)

The infamous color change. This article may help you....

http://www.viget.com/inspire/the-mys...b-color-shift/