A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KoolMoves User Guide / Manual

KoolMoves User Guide / Manual

http://www.koolmoves.com/support.html now has a User Guide in the Help Manual section. It is 90 pages long and formatted for doubled sided printing (blank pages inserted so chapters and appendices start on odd numbered pages), so people wanting to minimize paper consumption should skip the pages intentionally left blank.

I was wondering what that was when i checked the website, I'll have a look and see if you missed anything important.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Pulse
    I'll have a look and see if you missed anything important.
    Oh joy, words every manual author is dying to hear . Be still my heart!

Sarcasm aside, yes, please post comments to this thread. Especially newbies and users coming to KoolMoves from other applications.

The KoolMoves User Guide has some original content regarding the KM interface, but for the most part the content is based on the Help manual. It is a work in progress and will evolve over time. How fast it evolves depends on how much time I have to devote to it.

The immediate concerns, as expressed in the forum, were 1) some questions were posted that were addressed in the Help manual, 2) the Help manual wasn't formatted for printing, and 3) users wanted a User Manual/documentation. I really didn't want Bob distracted from adding more new features to KoolMoves, so I stepped in. I hope I've addressed these concerns to some extent.

My goal is to have User Guide updates coincide with KM upgrades, time constraints permitting.

Peter

I'll get to work on a Spanish translation of it if you like.
    humanus somes est divinitus in ipsum
    Wiliiam Wallace

Thank you, Wiliiam. That would be great.

Thank you for working on this. It has been a great help!

koolmoves in hebrew

Hi guys, if you want i'll try to put it into hebrew.

nigel.

Why not put it in "leet" also?
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

Bob has posted the final version of KoolMoves User Guide 0.3 to http://www.koolmoves.com/support.html. Highlight of changes from 0.2 are:

1) It is now 1.6 Mb, 105 pages
    2) Added entries on the AS Editor and features introduced with KoolMoves release 5.0.2
    3) Miscellaneous updates and/or editing, including but not limited to the entries on Grid, Score Data View, Sounds and Actions, Dynamic Text, and the Shortcuts List
    4) Updates and/or corrections to Appendices A, D, and E
    5) Added Appendix G - Library Listings (Motion Scripts, Text Effect Templates and Web Interfaces)
    6) Added Appendix H - Frequently asked Questions
    7) Added Chapter titles to the footer
    8) Added miscellaneous images

Index should be available with 0.4. Enjoy .

Peter

[QUOTE]Why not put it in "leet" also?

Have to put it into perspective as well.
    Wiliiam Wallace

[QUOTE=gusmus]
    Why not put it in "leet" also?

Have to put it into perspective as well.
    I cound not resist

I can only suggest that an OHM or two will increase your resistance, but as you surely know: Leet, written as "1337" in leetspeek, is an online culture and/or attitude among the Internet population. The word itself is derived phonetically from the word "elite", and is a cipher, or cryptic form of English spelling. This is commonly confused with B1ff, which replaces only some of the letters with numbers. And taking this back to a certain post a week or so back regarding translations. I can only sit here on my ass in amazement and wonder "WHY?"
    Wiliiam Wallace

Hi William,

Re perspective, should I beef up the introduction to address the evolution of Flash and its current uses? Ahhhh! I think I see what you're getting at. It doesn't replace HTML or dedicated art tools, and at its most powerful, works with CGIs and server side scripts. Am I close?

Quote Originally Posted by pherbrick
    Hi William,

Re perspective, should I beef up the introduction to address the evolution of Flash and its current uses? Ahhhh! I think I see what you're getting at. It doesn't replace HTML or dedicated art tools, and at its most powerful, works with CGIs and server side scripts. Am I close?
    I'd be inclined to leave everything as simple as possible. Don't go into the future possibilities because the majority of the help users will be people who wish to learn the ins and outs of the program. The rest of us oldies can probably work out the complicated bits for ourselves or at least post on here for inmediate help.

PS. you should have the first draft of the Spanish version in about 10 or 15 days, the only bug will be the screen captures which will have to be changed when and if the KM Span version is released. Sorry for the delay but it's bleedin 'ot 'ere and not conducive to playing about with internetically orientated television sets. In other words,,, "It's Holiday time"
    Wiliiam Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by gusmus
    I can only suggest that an OHM or two will increase your resistance, but as you surely know: Leet, written as "1337" in leetspeek, is an online culture and/or attitude among the Internet population. The word itself is derived phonetically from the word "elite", and is a cipher, or cryptic form of English spelling. This is commonly confused with B1ff, which replaces only some of the letters with numbers. And taking this back to a certain post a week or so back regarding translations. I can only sit here on my ass in amazement and wonder "WHY?"
    I am only joking. I got off work early today.

It was the past thread that made me think of this. I know older hackers used this to describe what they were doing so as others could not understand them and look Elite.

As for a spanish help translation, I did use some software to translate a 10 page rules and regs. Then I had to pay someone to 35USD to redo the software translation. All in all it worked well. Mabye next time I will look you up.

Symbol Library

How about an exlaination of the symbol libraray and examples of it's uses.

[QUOTE]I did use some software to translate a 10 page rules and regs. Then I had to pay someone to 35USD to redo the software translation. All in all it worked well. Mabye next time I will look you up.

Hi Tim. The online and most pc based translation software is little more than useless. It's ok for single words and very simple 5 word (max) phrases but above that they cannot assimilate any nuances within any language let alone spanish and especially anything using technical terms. When I started out on the web design thing I tried using an online translator thinking that it would be quicker but in the end I found that it was easier and a lot faster just to translate on the fly. The proof of the pudding with any software based translation is to translate a longish phrase, feed it back for translation to a third language and then translate the result back to the original. The results are sometimes hilarious.
    Wiliiam Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by blanius
    How about an exlaination of the symbol libraray and examples of it's uses.
    The Symbol Library functionality is still evolving, but there is a straightforward explanation of it in its current state on page 55 in the KoolMoves User Guide (KMUG) 0.3. The next KMUG will have a slightly expanded explanation and include an example of how to import symbols from another fun file.

As for examples of its uses, I didn't have time to flesh out the entry, but right now the uses are either very basic or very advanced. Basic: Movie clips in the Symbol Library can be edited or pasted to the current key frame. Advanced: Movie clips in the Symbol Library that have been given a Link Name can be used dynamically (see a good ActionScript manual - commands to look up provided on page 55). By dynamically, I mean they can be attached, duplicated, and have behaviors applied to them via ActionScript in the timeline they are loaded into.

I hope this helped .

User Manual released

Thanks, Marinebro. Bob has posted User Manual 0.2 to the KoolMoves support page. It supersedes and replaces the User Guide in its entirety.

Changes from User Guide 0.3 are:

1) The Manual is 2.7 Mb, 172 pages
    2) Lots of new entries and additional topics covered
    3) Better organization of topics
    4) Has an Index

I hope you all like it; its a major improvement over the guide, but Bob and Wilbert were coming out with so many improvements, I couldn't keep up with everything. The User Guide, when it comes back, will focus on examples and step by step guides. Comments on the manual can be posted to this thread, or you can private message me. Thanks in advance for you feedback.

Peter