A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RumbleSushi 3D game demos

Thanks.

And yep, the idea with these demos is to give a realistic representation of the kind of games I'll be developing, what my engine is capable of, instead of just a silly benchmark, or just 1 model with some effects etc.

The city demo for example, if I took away the flowers and spread the buildings out a bit more, would give plenty of room for a fair few enemies, and more advanced collision detection/AI etc - at 60fps.

Also bear in mind, on almost all PC's that aren't more than a few years old, these demos run at 60fps. So I could of course double the polycount if I wanted to drop to 30 or 40 fps.

I am a framerate whore, I love 60fps, but I acknowledge it's not completely necessary for many games. Mainly driving games and fighting games I think require 60fps. Partly for the response time, and in the case of driving games - the sense of speed is amplified by 60fps.

If you can maintain 60fps with opponents on screen why not. I've settled on 35 fps as it seems to be the most consistent. So even my racing games I run at same frame rate and don't see anything detrimental in that ( they are not real 3D though ).

I checked out your site Mike, I played a couple of the pseudo 3D racing games, it's quite an unusual effect you have there. It doesn't look like mode 7, it looks more like really old psuedo 3D, like outrun/hang on etc, even the road looks like a series of 2D sprites flying towards you, transformed in 3D.

It's not bad though, and has quite a good sense of speed like those old school racers.

Did you make the engine yourself?

Never even tried a mode7 flash game, they all seem twitchy and sense of speed just isn't there. Add problems with aliasing/pixely graphics and I skipped the whole thing.

Hello people,

It's been a while since my previous demo, and that's because I've reworked half my engine to use Flash 10. It now has perfect perspective correction and runs slightly faster than my Flash 9 engine with uncorrected affine texture mapping. Quite a result. When I used the Flash 10 rendering before, I was doing a draw call per polygon. Now I'm rendering in batches and it's much faster.

Here is my latest demo, a snowscape with 1000 trees and 12 ice boulders. It also has some basic per polygon collision detection.

Use the up key or W to accelerate, and the mouse to steer.

Cheers,
    RumbleSushi

Looks amazing, thanks rumblesushi!!

Thanks Dandy When you catch some air over the hills, I purposefully made the landings kind of soft, as you're on snow afterall. I was going to add some suspension and land with more of a jolt, and then it would feel less like snow.

Oh and imagine you're in a snowmobile, because I don't have the skills to model a snowmobile yet

Here is my other demo running on the latest build, this one is more of a performance demo/benchmark. It has 40 models with 192 polygons each, and some basic movement/physics. It's a model of my friend Dan with rocket skates

http://rumblesushi.com/katamari_baldwin.html

Click and drag to zoom in and rotate.

Cheers,
    RumbleSushi

That's a lot of fun to watch! I wish I even understood a tenth of the technology behind it, but for now I'm just a happy spectator.

Oh my lord!

It was so fun launching over the hills and getting lots of air! To tell you the truth, I've never had a 3d demo like that work so fast on my computer...it's truly remarkable!

Definitely keep it up, and let us know when we can start using this!!!

P.
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Pazil View Post
    To tell you the truth, I've never had a 3d demo like that work so fast on my computer
    P.
    Same here. In fact, I avoid Flash 3D games/demos like the plague because they usually run so badly. Not these!

great work. Very smooth.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Pazil - on the snow demo, press F to initialise fast mode, it should run even better on your machine

I was just passing by this thread, and then saw this:
    Quote Originally Posted by RipX View Post
    @Pazil Some flash 3d engines already use PixelBender to allow for shader effects on the GPU.
    Sorry if this was already mentioned, but pixel bender (in flash) actually runs on cpu. The only profit is to have more threads simultaneously working, so you could utilize more than one cpu for your stuff. Notebook owners ain't gonna love this, however
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Yeah, that seems to be a common misconception actually, because the PB toolkit DOES use the GPU, but running in the Flash environment, it's CPU all the way, just like everything else in Flash.

I'm not sure why that is, Adobe should have been pretty clear when advertising PB that published filters are software rendered like everything else.

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    Runs perfect in my MAC OS X 10.6.4 , procesor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, in Firefox 3.6.8

Your demo above 60 FPS

GREAT!!!

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Absolutely the best Flash 3D engine I've ever played.

I'm curious, what software would someone need to use to make these models? I.E. what formats are compatible?