A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: WM - FlashLite 2.1 - Write text file

WM - FlashLite 2.1 - Write text file

Hey guys,

This is what I am working on:

Mobile Device: Windows Mobiles 5+
    FlashLite version: FlashLite 2.1

Requirement:
    Need to write some data to text file or need to write some data to a database on mobile (preferable SQL Lite). I am aware of the fact that FlashLite on its alone cannot do this and it will need some 3rd party script to do so....what ever language this script follows is not an issue...it may be JAVA, C++, VB scripts, DOT.NET etc anything.....

Can somebody 1st tell me is this possible ? If 'Yes' then how ?
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

historically developers create a native application that acts like a server to receive data from flash and send data back to flash. After receiving the data the native application can do whatever it needs on the OS then send a result or confirmation back to flash.

You can try to set up an xml socket server in your native code or a http server, depending upon the data transfer protocol supported by the Flash player you are using.

Thanks hp3 for your reply!

I was advised the same from those who I asked this question. You gave a little more description about it (XML socket....) which will help me a lot!
    As ever,
    Vinayak Kadam

there is an example of how to write a xml socket server using .net in the book Flash the Future which you can buy used (very cheap).

Janus is what you need for this, it gives you OS level control - as otherwise you're limited to Adobe's security sandbox limitations. Janus compiles your .swf app with additional controls that Flash Lite ignores. This compilation process gives you extra functionality.

I'm pretty sure Janus will enable you to work with local files, e.g. text files. In the past I've done something similar on desktop apps using a similar tool called zinc.