A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hyphens in domain names...

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar

Question Hyphens in domain names...

Damn near every combination of 2 words is taken by some squatter. What do you think about using hyphens in domain names?

e.g. yourmama.com -> your-mama.com

Are they a "Go!" or a "NO!"...? Pro and Cons?

No! not unless you get strange combinations without them (expertsexchange.com, penisland.net, molestationnursery.com, etc). The advantage of without is that you can explain it more easily, like saying "yourmama.com, one word", intsead of "your hyphen mama.com"

Inventing words which sound strange is all the rage now. They don't have to have anything to do with what you are selling either (spotify.com, hulu.com, joost.com etc).

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I reckon it's a go. I have had a hyphenated domain for a few years now (davidp-inter.net).

davidp
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

I say go for it. From an seo stand point results are results, no body's typing. If advertising the URL people should be able to remember something as simple as hyphenation. Word of mouth is the only risk but seriously, who talks in person anymore?

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    It really depends on what result you want.

For SEO hyphens don't matter and longer keyword rich URLs are better than short catchy easy to remember names.
    Some of my best ranking work was done on sites with ridiculously long 4-5 keyword combinations in the name.

If your target market is going to be local/networking and not from Google then a short catchy URL is best.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick