A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: C.A.P. -- Character/Design

Now we're talking, missiles are fun..!!

In the meantime though, just to prove I can draw, the other examples were a bit botched to be honest, check out this, my very latest creation (done in the last hour or so..)

[swf width="200" height="250" background="#ffffff"]http://www.geocities.com/thundachunk/Purple.swf[/swf]

See.? I can draw, (just).. The problem though, is that I don't have a graphics tablet, or a scanner, so I had to draw it the hard way, working each piece in a different colour as you would a clay figure to get the shape, and then painstakingly re-colour it!! Still, I think the finished thing was worth the effort, as I don't really have much "proper" people drawings, all I really have is badly drawn cats.!!

Ah well..

I'll have a go at those missiles!!!

did anyone try the .fla links, I'd like to know if they work, since, if they don't, I can make them .zips, if that'll help (Regarding the missiles especially..)

Cheers..

John

The missle is finished!!! YAY!!

Here's the product of a hard flash!!

Hope it's not too fussy..

Here...

[swf width="550" height="100" background="#ffffff"]http://www.geocities.com/thundachunk/Missile.swf[/swf]

What do you think..?

Ian424
    i'm not in this.. but you can make a good smoke trail with a gray smoke trail shape and masking so you cant see it until the projectile passes.

Ah well, The .fla is up.. So whoeve gets around to using it can make their own... !! I just put the smoke in for effect!!

http://www.geocities.com/thundachunk/Missile.fla

The above url is the link to the .fla, if anyone fancies playing with it further..

Ian424
    want to see what i mean by smoke trail effect? I'll post the swf..

Go for it dude!!

Ian424
    [swf width="550" height="100" background="#000000"]http://www.geocities.com/flashtheatre/Missile.swf[/swf]

There..

Its pretty simple and the smoke doesnt look as good as the missile but you get the idea.

Hey,

That missile looks hot, Thunda!

And Ian24's streamer-ish smoke looks very anime. That looks nice.

Something like that would work for a closeup on a single missile. Then we would need to come up with a swarm, which probably needs smaller versions of the missile with less detail, but flying at various of angles. Think Macross/Robotech, folks! Like where a plane fires a whole swarm of missiles, and they all snake towards the target.

Originally posted by 5th

I don't mind if someone traces over it in flash.
    I'll take you up on that, that is what i am known for around here anyway. I should have it done early Monday morning.

Originally posted by Ian424
    [swf width="550" height="100" background="#000000"]http://www.geocities.com/flashtheatre/Missile.swf[/swf]

There..

Its pretty simple and the smoke doesnt look as good as the missile but you get the idea.
    Hey, that's great...!!

I spent too much time on the missile anyway..

So it's done with a mask..?

Could you E-mail me the .fla..?

Sanman was talking about swarms of the things,
    so if you show me how it's done.. I can get on and play about with having a load of them.... !!

[Edited by ThUnDaChUNK on 01-06-2001 at 11:59 PM]

Ian424
    Its just a small section of smoke pasted together to look like a stream of it. Make it longer than the stage and move it for the smoke shooting out effect.

Make sure its aligned to the missle, and then make a mask thats a rectangle. make this behind the missle, and when the missle flies across, make the box stretch out behind it showing the smoke.

For best results make the start/end frames of this the same in both.

If you need the fla i'll get it for you, i'm just too lazy hehe.

I will get on the screen trace of the girl and try to have it done by Monday....hehehe this is going to be fun!

Ian424
    is it too late to be an actual member of this project?

Sorted, sort of..

Here's my attempt at trails...

And swarms too!!

It needs a bit of optimising though, as it's a bit slow at the moment, and it's supposed to be running at 120fps!!!!
    [swf width="250" height="200" background="#000033"]http://www.geocities.com/thundachunk/missilesgomad.swf[/swf]

??!!!

Ian424
    Try simplifying the missle (less gradients.. etc) Gradients often make movies run slow..

Originally posted by Ian424
    Try simplifying the missle (less gradients.. etc) Gradients often make movies run slow..
    Good idea...

Here we go, we can use the big shaded version for the close up, and the small, non-shaded ones for the swarms...

Here's attempt two!!

[swf width="250" height="200" background="#000033"]http://www.geocities.com/thundachunk/missilesgomad2.swf[/swf]

Better..?

Ian424
    much faster.

I like the trails.. but they look a little less anime

Just so we're all on the same page - I'll try to do work on the monster - I've been doing some motion tests and expressions.

I think many of us agree that 5th's rendition of the girl is spot-on, but we have to remember that she will be animated. It might be good to have a traced version just so we can work on color, but I'd more like to see people begin working on storyboards than finished work yet, so we can have clear exactly how everything will fit together.

The missle also looks great, but I am inclined to agree than more work should be put into the effect, as a super-detailed swarm of missles will bring the overall speed down, and they will be on screen for such a relatively small amount of time that it doesn't seem justified.

No close up..?!!

Oh no!!

Ah well.. The .fla is there anyway, if you want it..

http://www.geocities.com/thundachunk/missilesgomad2.fla

Cheers

John

Originally posted by CNO
    I think many of us agree that 5th's rendition of the girl is spot-on, but we have to remember that she will be animated. It might be good to have a traced version just so we can work on color, but I'd more like to see people begin working on storyboards than finished work yet, so we can have clear exactly how everything will fit together.
    I agree CNO, not finished work, just getting the line drawings into flash to flesh out our concepts. We need to get some initial line images into flash so we can begin work and have somewhere to start - also to give everyone a feeling that we are actually getting something done here. I think we need to build two or three static line images in Flash and then build a final storyboard using them - that will tell us if we are accomplishing our desired look and feel - then we really begin the work!