A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Session doesn't stay alive in "Test movie" on Mac Pro

Session doesn't stay alive in "Test movie" on Mac Pro

I just switched from PC to Mac, due to performance disappointments in Vista. The weird thing I experience is when I test a movie (that always worked fine) via the "Test Movie"-option in Flash (cmd - enter), all of a sudden the sessions won't stay alive.

Via a sendAndLoad I call a PHP-script which starts a session and stores values for a game in it, after which it sends back the values including the session-id. When I call the same script a second later (while doing "Test movie" in Flash), a new session is started, so a different session-id is passed back.

The strange thing is that the scripts (and movies) I test with have worked like forever and never gave me problems like this. When I do a "Test movie" within Flash for Windows, no problems occure and the session stays alive as long as a browser or "Test movie"-window stays opened. When I test the movie in any Internet Browser; no problem. Even when I test the movie in Safari on the same Mac that has the discribed problem in Flash, it works fine. So only when I do "Test movie" in Flas on my Mac Pro, I have this problem, which makes the debugging and troubleshooting of my movies pretty much impossible

I hope someone recognizes this and is able to help me out, because I'm very sad about this...

Since I get no reply, I guess my problem is either not clear or pretty complex. Could someone please test for me how his/her Mac handles a remote session?
    For the time being I stored a very simple .php file on my server with the following content:

PHP Code:
    <?php
    session_name
    ('test');
    session_start();
    $sessid session_id();
    if(isset(
    $_SESSION['testid'])){

$_SESSION['testid']++;
    } else {

$_SESSION['testid'] = 0;
    }

echo 
    "&vars=$sessid|" $_SESSION['testid'] . "|OK";
    ?>
    If you open the attached .fla in Flash and do (cmd enter) Test Movie, every time you click the yellow block, the session-id (long number) should stay the same; it does in Flash for Windows, but not in my Flash for Mac OS (I run OS X 10.5.2 and Flash CS3).

Thanks in advance for trying and giving your feedback!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by basm; 05-06-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Apparently a session doesn't stay alive when you run an swf locally from a Mac (so this starts to look like a security-setting in Mac OS X. When I open the SWF I've created locally, in a regular Flash Player, it also is not able to keep a remote-session alive. I think no cookies can be stored by Flas when a local file is connecting to a remote server.

If I open the same .SWF in Safari it does work correctly, so the issue is really limited to Flash player and Flash IDE CS3.

I've found out that more people suffer(ed) from this issue, so I'm not the only one. However, I cannot find any solution obout this topic. The following sites describe the same issue, but nop solution. I re-opened my call at Abode, but I hope any of you recognizes this issue.

The same issue can be found at:
    - http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...1=test%20movie

- http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...1=test%20movie

- http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...yword1=session

- http://www.actionscript.org/forums/s....php3?t=143222

Once again: many thanks if anybody can help me!

I too suffer from windows session envy...

Hey there- Thought I'd speak up on your behalf. I own a MBPro, running 10.4.11 with CS3 Flash Professional installed. I'm currently in the process of learning to develop with AS3/PHP/MySQL and can confirm that sessions will not pass when testing in the Flash IDE. However, testing the published file in a browser works as expected (fortunately). And to back this up even more. I test the same files on my Windows machine at work, sessions pass successfully with the IDE. So it looks as thought it is indeed a MAC specific issue.

If you uncover a solution, please post here. As I will do the same if I find one.

Still nobody with a solution?

just upgraded to CS4, hoping that this issue would have been resolved by Adobe, since they promissed me in 2008 to keep investigating this issue, and sadly enough I had to find out that again I invested a lot of money in Mac software with the result that I have to keep working on a Windows PC again :'(

I hope somebody runs into a solution on short notice....