A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is there a key input problem on Windows 7?

Is there a key input problem on Windows 7?

I finally moved from XP to Windows 7 about a month or so ago, which comes with IE 8 ... I recently was checking out some Flash games, and I keep running into problems with keyboard-controlled games.

It doesn't seem to matter if its WASD or cursor keys, I get the problem where characters end up moving by themselves, like key releases aren't being detected.

Here's one game where this happens to me, and it makes the game unplayable (sorry MikeD):
    http://www.deusx.com/pumpkinboy/

In Firefox I don't get the problem. He's using SWFobject. On Mochi's site, they are also using SWFobject. Could it be WMODE?

There is a known problem with IE8 and keys; keys get stuck and as you say characters just keep moving in that direction. This is definitely much more of a problem than iPad nonsense we are arguing about in the other thread. I'm not sure if it happens on all IE8 installations, maybe we should investigate

This is what somebody on Kongregate posted as a solution to it :

- Open the Tools -> Internet Options -> Security tab
    - Uncheck "Protected Mode"

or, if you don't want to disable protected mode completely:

- Open Tools -> Internet Options -> Security tab
    - Click Trusted Sites -> Sites
    - Uncheck "Require Server"
    - Click "Add" and add the site
    (You'll need to uncheck "Protected Mode" for this zone for this one to
    work)

And who do you trust with stats. Some places claim Firefox is at 47%, others claim only 26% and IE ( all versions combined ) as high as 62%

and this one shows it somewhere in between.
    Last edited by MikeMD; 02-02-2010 at 02:36 AM.

So futzing with WMODE changes nothing?

Haven't tried it. I used to use WMODE for years as that was the only way t get exact frame rates, but stopped about 18 months - 2 years ago. I run everything at 35 fps now and Firefox gives me exactly that while IE gives me almost that ( 32-35 fps ), pretty much unnoticeable difference between the two, so no need for WMODE any more.