A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Device screen width and flash player.

Device screen width and flash player.

Hi all.

I have a couple of niggling questions which i'm hoping somebody can answer.

1. I'm a single developer making half a dozen or so flash lite apps. I've initially designed them around a 240x320 screensize because to be honest, that's what size the screen can be as a minimum due to all the visual content. The application doesnt scale, because i've built in some logic for screen rotation. Anyway, there are a few other resolutions out there with slightly bigger screens, and some slightly narrower etc. I guess my question is, short of developing for every screensize out there (which isnt very feasible for myself), what does everybody else do out there?

2. I've packaged my swf into a .sis, which installs nicely. So, my other question is this: Do SWFs packaged into a .SIS need a standalone flash player to run (regardles of browser flash)? And are there phones out there that have the flash plugin for the browser, but no standalone player? I dont want you to name them, but just tell me if they exist.

Thanks.

Use fscommand2 fullscreen parameter to fit it to screen. if the other dimensions are only slightly different it wont matter.

if you have developed a application it will run as a application. why do you want to run it in browser ?

Hi.

I used to use the 'fscommand2 fullscreen' option, but whenever the device was rotated the application looked terrible. The font line-spacing didnt scale so lines of text were missing etc. So i decided to get rid of this 'fullscreen' feature and put a listener in to detect the rotation, displaying the 'portrait' or 'landscape' mc accordingly......

"if you have developed a application it will run as a application. why do you want to run it in browser ?" - because if users have a flash in their browser, but not as a standalone player, they would be able to use it too.....

yes thats a common trouble. I guess you are developing for nokia devices. So have a look here:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._on_Nokia_5800

If you want to run them in browser context , use the WEB Runtime provided by nokia.

....thanks for that. I remember looking into that, or similar, but I opted out because I wanted to stay compatible with FL 2.0 because there's a lot of devices out there which don't support 3.0!

Here's one more question which is bugging me. So, i create my FL 2.0 application, 240px x 320px, and i load it up in Device Central. In my Device Central, under the Online Library section, there are LOTS AND LOTS of Sony Ericsson handset greyed out, even thought their resolution is 240px x 320px and run FL2.1? (For example, C510, C702, C901 etc etc) Can anybody explain this?

Thanks again.

many of the se phones are browser only and not standalone. If your search is for standalone implementation then few of the se phones will appear in the results. I am not sure if device central takes into account the project capuchin phones (standalone flash through java).

Interesting. Thanks very much.

Nokia web runtime can hold flash lite 3.0/3.1 /2.1 / 2.0. Different playforms will offcourse require different widget packaging methodologies.

in my experience, unfortunately Flash will only return the size of the window (stage width & height) if allowScale is turned off, which means you have to first switch it off, get a size, then scale your stuff repositioning 0,0 etc manually afterwards.

Regrettably this results in you almost building your own liquid layout browser rendering engine - especially if aspect ratios are different too!

Flash & Flash Lite's Fullscreen command is brilliant, and coupled with the scaling of vector graphics it makes scaling easy, so things look better if you avoid bitmaps in your app elements as much as you can - but the above issue is a pain in the butt.

I have this problem too with an app originally designed for 240x320, now of course it has to run on 480x800 (2 years later)

Have a look through the other posts in the board outside the mobile forum, I remember posting something elsewhere about this that might help you.