A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: When loading, Flash player uses previous resolution...

Unhappy When loading, Flash player uses previous resolution...

This is a technical problem, not involving scripting.

A few months ago, I started noticing a small annoyance in Flash and the Flash Player. This small annoyance quickly became a rather large inconvenience, so I recently started googling a solution. Nothing to be found, unfortunately.

Here's my problem:
    When I open a swf file with the standalone Flash Player (any version), the size of the player is set to the size of the last swf file I loaded with the "File - Open" dialog. By the way, when I use the file dialog to open files, the player resizes appropriately.

An example:
    I open a swf with "open with - Flash Player" and the Flash Player sets its size to 320x240 instead of the swf's size, 640x480. Or I open a swf that should be 550x400 and it opens at 320x240. The Flash Player always uses the dimensions of the last file opened with "File - Open."

This problem even affects the Flash CS3 built-in "Test Movie" player.
    The problem is a little difference within the "test movie" player. It seems to keep whatever the dimensions were the last time you resized the player yourself, and full screen mode doesn't work properly.

I tried upgrading, downgrading, editing the registry (that was a nightmare), and many other suggestions given elsewhere.

I even uninstalled and reinstalled. The problem persists.
    GetLives Arcade: Play games, nothing else.
    This site is nothing but Flash-powered games. If you're bored, try a few of them.

Just an update for anyone who cares, this problem seems to date back to when my original WinXP profile got corrupted by an old Wacom driver. Also, when Creative Suite tries to install, it tries to find some of the files in my old profile's directory. I think a complete Windows XP reinstall is necessary.
    Last edited by fjgamer; 02-14-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
    GetLives Arcade: Play games, nothing else.
    This site is nothing but Flash-powered games. If you're bored, try a few of them.