A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash Kit Community Boards 10th Birthday

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Flash Kit Community Boards 10th Birthday

I don't know how many of the original crew is still around but we started the FlashKit boards just about 10 years ago. Right now we were testing them out and they opened not to many days latter. It blows my mind that there are 638,207 members and there have been 646,284 members register, that member id number belonging to the SamB, the newest board member. My id number is 97 there were a few wasted numbers in the beginning

You should know your part of a very special family, one with a great history. These boards grew out of the "Flame Wars" at FlashZone. On those boards people had no respect for one another. We were a place that was "Flame Free" and rated "G" that anyone and everyone could come and learn at. As the original unpaid "Community Manager" I answered just about every question there was on the board in the beginning, I had over 10,000 posts in the first 6 months of the board, have no idea why I only have 3k now must have done some serious pruning of posts, and its been 10 years

It was an exciting time, March of 2000 was the very first Flash Forward where most of us met for the first time. I can remember all the chatter back and forth about meeting up and things to do in SF. 2900 people in a building that should have only had like 1800 in it. That is when I met Mark Fennell and Steve Williams face to face. Mark if you don't know it is "FlashKit" an artist and Steve well he was the business man.

Anyway, its through FlashKit that I got to meet and play together with some great folks like FlashGuru who was 16 at the time, mg33, subway, Jezz and Nicole, the FK"B's" GMF, 8minus8, MarkP, gerbick the epic of "Dan" the Cow. the list would go on and on.

So without talking this to death, Here's to the FlahsKit community, may it FLourish for another 10 years. If any of the old gang is around please chime in. It would be great to get reconnected. Regards, Bill

Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Footer... We dont need no Stinking Footers!!!!

edit:nevermind, ignore the fat kid.

Wow, cool! I joined in June of 2002, but this is my third account (not sure why, I was never banned). At the beginning I hung around in the Games forum, but I've since drifted over here. I visit the Games forum once in a while, almost as often as I fire up Flash Since then I've moved onto other languages, but it was through Flash that I learned to program. FlashKit is probably one of the earliest websites that I became a member of (I'm not as old as the rest of you), and it has had an important influence on my life, which is probably why I'm still here. I have learned how to program, how to use the Internet and hopefully I have improved my written English. In fact my brother pointed out just this Christmas, as I lurked around these forums, that for as long as he could remember I had been surfing this "yellow and blue website".

I'm nearing the end of my Happy Tenth Birthday speech. Thank you FK'ers for everything these last 8 years, and hopefully we'll all be around for another 10 years!

im almost as old as these boards.
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

Whassup Pope. I'm still around, one of the few that stayed here, stayed visible. Cool post, I knew about FK in April of 2000, resisted signing up because forums seemed odd to me. But my curiosity about 3D and Flash drove me to sign on up in July.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Good to hear from you pope. Don't know if you remember me but I moderated your 3d forum on the original popedeflash.com. It's still one of my favorite web stories to tell. My ten year is this summer and in that time I've found other sources for the original reasons I joined the site but I've never found a better more eclectic group of peers than the CL@FK. These boards will go on hopefully and I still think with a serious investment towards a reboot could be better and more profitable than ever.

Good work - 9 years here for me.. probably been reading it for most of the 10 though...

I joined 09-23-2003 and have less than 100 Posts. I guess I qualify as a lurker.

i dont remember why i signed up specifically but constant job offers via AIM after telling someone to use magic to tween a circle still make me laugh.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Signed up as soon as I found out about it. Didn't visit the lounge for my first year.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    It would be nice to have MF (Mr Flashkit hisself) pop in and say howdy and bring us up to date with his adventures.

davidp
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Happy 10th you old timers!

(Subscribed... now let's see who else shows up to the party. I know there's a few more original lurkers still around...)
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

this is only a test
    Quote Originally Posted by mehmet22 View Post
    I joined 09-23-2003 and have less than 100 Posts. I guess I qualify as a lurker.
    I think I'm out-lurking you

^ winner.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

damn that's actually a little creepy.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Wow... the ultimate lurker.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Good meeting you the other day jAQUAN. Crazy that I was on this set of board the night before we bump into each other. I guess Mr. FlashKit himself must be off somewhere as not being able to post.
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Footer... We dont need no Stinking Footers!!!!

Strange to realize it has then been 10 years since my first gotoAndPlay. Happy to see you Pope, you probably don't remember me since i was one of the newbies when you were around, but it reminds me of the (very) good old times here!

Happy bday!

gparis

Quote Originally Posted by david petley View Post
    It would be nice to have MF (Mr Flashkit hisself) pop in and say howdy and bring us up to date with his adventures.

davidp
    I believe he has a life now... unlink the rest of you plebs still hanging around here after ten years... oh wait...

Thanks for opening this thread.

I came straight to Flashkit and I liked it right from the beginning. It was in Flash 5 times. Flashkit is part of my second career.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -