A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Gifs and sound on page

Gifs and sound on page

I worked on an educational activity for adult English as a second language students [URL="http://www.johnmh.com/Elevator/nw1.html"]http://www.johnmh.com/Elevator/nw1.html[/URL Pages 2 and 3 work perfectly. However, when I tried to make first page that incorporates animated gifs, I ran into problems. I lost the ability to embed sound on the down state for all objects on the page. I am using Vista updated, and KoolMoves 7.4.1.

I used these steps:

1. Import an image (jpeg) on to the stage.
    2. Clicked on it and selected make it a button from the tool bar. This tool is now acting funny because it will not make the selected image a button. (Any suggestions here?)
    3. In the OVER State, I drew a layer over the image and made it transparent.
    4. I moved to the UP State, copied the OVER State, and added the word.
    5. I moved to the DOWN State, copied the OVER State, and returned to the Main Movie.
    6. I then right clicked on the image to show properties and changed the sound to YES, went to the down state, and linked to the sound.
    7. I then saved, previewed in Play in Browser Window, and the two previous images with sounds (which worked perfectly before I worked on the gif) and the animated gif do not play sound.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Are you using AS3 and special 3rd party classes to get animated GIF files working in KM?
    What solutions have you tried so far?
    Are the other buttons you are using coded by the KM GUI, or do you code them yourself?
    What other code created by the KM GUI do you use (Frame based actions, etc.)?

Could you attach the SWF that isn't working?

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    I'm able to recreate your problem here and I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate. Following your steps exactly I also cannot get a button to fire a sound on the down state. I am however able to change the export settings and get the sound to fire correctly.

Enter your export settings for the movie and change these settings to what I have in the screenshot below (mine assumes AS3 but the fix should IMO work no matter if AS1):

Let me know if this cleans it up.

resolved

Chris -

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. Your suggestion worked perfectly after I changed the export parameters. All I need now is some time to go back and fix the original page.

John

Super Moderator
    What was the change in settings which fixed the problem?

Maybe it is,
    Image / sound placement = Export images and sounds as they are used

Super Moderator
    The bug is fixed in beta 7.4.2. It does have to do with the placement of the sound in the swf for flash 9/10 export.