A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Study Actionscript 2.0 or 3.0?

Schweinsberg

Study Actionscript 2.0 or 3.0?

I used to be a Flash developer in Indianapolis, back in 2004-2005. Iíve been using flash off and on since Flash 4. Things have changed a lot since then.
    Iím getting back into Flash after about a 3 year layoff from the software. But Iím not sure which direction to take.

If I put my time and study into Actionscript 2.0, will this knowledge continue to be useful and applicable in the next 3-5 years, or am I studying an obsolete tool that is soon to die to 3.0. Is Actionscript 2.0 intended to remain around indefinitely? Will Flash CS6 or CS7 and so forth have the option for Actionscript 2.0, or is it meant to be phased out. Or is the software permanently designed to forever support 2.0 and 3.0, and the developer simply gets to choose which he wants to use.

When I put in my order for about 3 or 4 new flash books tomorrow at work, should I have them order me Actionscript 2.0 books that I am much more comfortable with and will be able to do anything I want, or is this obsolete knowledge soon to be useless, and I just need to learn 3.0 from scratch since thatís where Flash will be in a year or two?

Schweinsberg
    bump

Any help?

I guess another way to look at it, is that I know I learn flash through books. Will all future flash books be written geared toward actionscript 3.0?

I've been using actionscript 2.0 since it came out in flash 7 to the point where I can pretty much hand code anything straight from memory so it has been difficult for me to transition to 3.0.

I would advise studying 3.0.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would agree with Rynoe. AS2 looks much like reading English to me now where as AS3 might as well be Japanese. On occasion you might have to do projects that specs require AS2 but it's certainly the easier of the two languages to go into blind for the average designer.

Schweinsberg
    I guess another way to ask is are all books from here on forward, even beginning books on Flash, all the way to advanced, going to teach flash from an Actionscript 3.0 perspective insead of a 2.0 perspective?

I'm in the exact same postion as you Schweinsberg (I started with Flash 4 but stopped using Flash 4 or 5 years ago), and would love more input from any other users on this topic.
    If it's any indication of the way things will be going, lynda.com's tutorials use 3.0 for even simple button navigation.

I wonder why someone would want to learn an outdated language? it will, of course, still be there in 5 years, a lot of members here still code AS 1.0 (ie: onClipEvent, etc..) but if you want a job, i'm almost certain companies would not hire someone with 0 knowledge of the current language.

gparis