A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to turn a string into a properly structured object

How to turn a string into a properly structured object

Hi Chaps,

I'm using an online service (heyzap.com if anyone wanted to know) for storing small amounts of data from my Flash app. The data is sent to the server as an object, which can contain any kind of structure including arrays, numbers, strings etc. However, when the object is returned back to the app, for some reason, it has been turned into a string representation of the object. I don't think it should be like that - but it is. So if I create a textbox on screen and write the code:

myTextbox.text = receivedObject;

it shows this:

{"myArray":[{"myInteger":0,"myString":"string0","myData":[1,2,3]},{"myInteger":1,"myString":"string1","myData":[1,2,3]},{"myInteger":2,"myString":"string2","myData":[1,2,3]},{"myInteger":3,"myString":"string3","myData":[1,2,3]},{"myInteger":4,"myString":"string4","myData":[1,2,3]}]}

That's just a test, and it tells me that all the structure is correct, but it's just a single string. Question is, without writing a complicated parser to deal with all the brackets and so forth, is there a simple way to turn that string back in an object again such that I can access the elements as I could the original object?

Any help much appreciated.

cheers,

Ric.

Will moderate for beer
    Try tracing typeof(receivedObject). It could be that you're seeing the result of calling toString on that object. On the other hand, if it were anything other than a String, I'd have expected an error.

If that is a String, try using the JSON part of the as3corelib to decode it.
    http://code.google.com/p/as3corelib/

Thanks 5Tons - it has to be said, you are a genius. Yes, it was a string, tracing typeOf confirmed that, and secondly, yes it had been JSON encoded. I don't even really know what that means, but I downloaded that as3corelib, and wrote the code

var objectString:String = String(receivedObject);
    var decode:JSONDecoder = new JSONDecoder(objectString);
    var newObject:Object = decode.getValue();

and lo and behold I now have my original object restored and in a state which I can use once again.

The only thing which remains is for me to let heyzap know about this, because this is not how their api is supposed to work according to their documentation.

Thanks a lot,

Ric.