A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What do you do if you're offered a big project...

What do you do if you're offered a big project...

...but are a little unsure you can do everything yourself that the client wants, what do you normally do?

I'm new to flash design and am sort of on the fence about my abilities. I can design a basic flash site but I'm no pro. My knowledge and skills don't yet encompass all the flash components and effects available to more expert designers.

I could really use your opinions on this and your own personal experiences when you first started with flash and got an offer for a project that was a little ahead of your abilities but you hated to turn down such an opportunity for good money.

I'm sure you have all had the feeling of not wanting to loose out on an opportunity or have feared to give a first impression that you weren't a reliable flash designer by declining a project.

So how do you handle the projects a little (or even a lot) outside your skill level?

Do you flat out decline them?

Do you keep quiet and outsource the work you have trouble with?

How do you handle it?

I could really use some insight into this as it is a question that has been nagging at me for some time.

Thank you.

When in doubt, sub it out.
    There's nothing wrong with simply managing 3rd party developers and collecting a commission on the project.

With almost every project there will be some uncharted territory so it's not exactly unprofessional to take a job you're not %100 on how you're going to pull it off. What's important is that you are honest with yourself about how big this problem space is. You do a disservice to both yourself and the client to bite off more than you can chew in which case you definitely want to outsource with the understanding that the onus is still all on you to see it through. Sure it'd be a great learning experience to bang your head against the project until you pull it off but it's honestly not worth the stress.

jAQUAN hit it on the head. When in doubt, sub it out. Pair off with somebody that knows more than you in the areas you don't know; you will learn.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Whatever you do, don't turn it down. You turn down one project and that client is going to find someone else and stick with them.

Like the other clowns said, sub it out.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Ditto.

Unless the client seems like a real pita and wants an unreasonable amount of work done on a ridiculously small budget, we don't turn it down.
    If we can't do it inhouse I have no problem with subbing any or all of it out and just managing for a fee.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    I agree... Take the project and learn a new skill.

And I'll be happy to take any overflow or subbed out work any of you have...

LR raises a good point though. Don't just jump at big talk from a prospective client either. If they wanna whittle you down on what you know is a fair price, politely invite them to go elsewhere.

I agree with others that you should cut into the profit you might make by hiring someone more qualified to help (or even lead). The potential for repeat business or referrals is worth taking the pay cut when you are learning the ropes.

I also suggest that you be up front with the client that you are partnering with someone so that you can sensibly talk about progress. I've had people try and pretend that they were doing work for me but it almost always comes out one way or another that they've outsourced something due to delays, them not being to answer details, etc. Dishonesty is usually not appreciated.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf